• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our no-brain-required televisual entertainment this week has been Mythbusters on Amazon. From Season 1.

Comment

First film of the night here was Apocalypse Now (1979), in this case the 2019 Final Cut edition, which is a 4K remaster apparently so distinguished from the original that it has its own MPAA number, 52146. So the cinematography was shown off to its best advantage, and the sound likewise. But apparently the budget didn't stretch to putting subtitles on the damn thing, so the significance of the scene where they have dinner in the French family's mansion in the jungle remains unclear, as I could hardly catch a word of it even with the volume cranked right up

I saw it in the cinema back in 1979, which was quite a torturous ordeal, cinema seats not being as big and comfortable then as they are nowadays and the damn thing being three hours long. But even in this fine new edition, it feels longer

At the time it had been shown with three different endings because Coppola couldn't make his mind up about how to end it. After forty-one years I have no idea whether the ending shown here was the same one as was shown in British cinemas then, and by the time we got to it I honestly didn't care, I just wanted it to be over. I'll maybe watch it again in another forty-one years, just to check if it really should have been an hour shorter, which it should

After enduring that I needed something to act as a pick-me-up, and what could be better than the excellent Jupiter Ascending (2015). Two hours, plenty of action, and an inspiring story with a happy ending that didn't have to be changed three times - now that's how you make a film

And finally S1E11 of The Sopranos, Nobody Knows Anything (TV Episode 1999).

The road outside looks damp but I don't think it's due to rain, just a heavy dew; the weather app has been claiming it's foggy for much of the night, which it wasn't here in the city, but may have been a couple of miles away in the countryside.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Grey.

No current precipitation.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Cooler at 21.9 deg in here.

1008 mBar.

Sunday judging by the crap emitted by the wireless.

^^^The Horror! Oh The Horror!

I well remember the joys of watching "The Deer Hunter" in The Studio cinema in Swansea when the projectionist got the reels in the wrong order.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 August 2020, 08:39.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Nice and grey here. Should rain again in late afternoon/early evening.

Recycling emptied for bin men tomorrow

Need to put food waste out later.

Need to go out for a walk in a bit.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Trump's dead.

Unfortunately it's the wrong one.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tidying up garden and got stung when disturbed waspy nest. As usual, only hurt for about 1/2 minute. Also stung by darn nettles, I'll feel that for hours!
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out again, though up to 19°C already

The forecast is for thunderstorms this afternoon, 100% certainty; but we all know how that goes

Comment

Morning all

Overcast but bright out. Currently 22 degrees with a forecast high of 24 degrees. 80% chance of rain this afternoon and, potentially, thunderstorms. It's very humid and muggy out. Barometer down to 1011 mBar.

I need to do some cleaning today. The floor is filthy.

Comment

Hoovering done.

Towels and bath mat in the WM

Comment

Working...
                      X