• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bed changed

I did consider switching to the summer duvet, but the forecast is for it to cool down towards the end of the week so I didn't take the chance.

But I tried the "burrito method" of putting on the duvet cover for the first time, and it works very well

Comment

In the Chinese

Comment

Falcon, Dragon... Next stop ISS
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Tags are useful supplementary metadata, but a national library can't have a website interface that's nothing but a list of tags - they need to impose some kind of structure on the collections. And although Dewey Decimal works well for putting things on shelves, they want to organise their website so that visitors looking for their collection of Antarctic explorer materials, or their scans of Ordnance Survey maps, or their archive of knitting patterns, can find them by exploring what seem to the visitor to be relevant areas of the site. Hence the exercise in finding out how real people categorise things, even if that turns out to be different to the way a librarian would do it

The beauty of the web IMHO is that search does the classification, place in a tight constraint as per Dewey there is a 'right place' for everything but using pointers allows people to find the right place.

If I search for say the Doomsday book I want to see far down in the results - "modern survey like the Doomsday book" . They may not be even actually related but they have the same tag.

If you use tags "relevant areas of the site" precede the users eyes.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Entertainment: The Beiderbecke Tapes E1.

Oddly the dvd doesn't seem to be episoded, it's just 2 hours and 31 minutes of uninterrupted video.

Weird! I wonder if my box set is like that. Does it do that when you select "Play all", or is there just one episode and no episode selection or scene selection option?
            IIRC (at this time of day), it presented me with a menu saying "play".

The episodes (2 of them) appear to be 1:15 long, so I didn't reach the end of the 1st ep when I stopped watching.

It would have made the prog 1:30 long back in the day with the adverts.
            Yup. That's exactly what it does, there is exactly one option: "Play Feature" which launches it and there's no sign of any break at 1:15 where it would have been split.

As you say, it is a bit odd.

Then again, I've got dvds even barer bones than that which just play as soon as you put the dvd in, no menu or anything.

It hasn't got subtitles either, though that's a bit more useful with "Timeless" where the septic drawl is a bit indistinct, and even worse when they're speaking German, French, or whatever.

To get those subtitles one needs to select "3: English" rather than the generic "1: English" option.

Entertainment (continued): "Timeless" S1 E10 "The Capture of Benedict Arnold" wherein our favourite Ferenghi/Principal Snyder appears.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 May 2020, 20:53.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              The beauty of the web IMHO is that search does the classification, place in a tight constraint as per Dewey there is a 'right place' for everything but using pointers allows people to find the right place.

If I search for say the Doomsday book I want to see far down in the results - "modern survey like the Doomsday book" . They may not be even actually related but they have the same tag.

If you use tags "relevant areas of the site" precede the users eyes.
              All they're after is information on how ordinary users categorise things to inform a revamp of the categories on e.g. Digital gallery - National Library of Scotland so that it provides access to their online collections in a way that works well for the users. Anything beyond determining what categories make sense to people in the specific context of a web page that provides access to their collections is beyond the scope of the exercise.

Comment

In the Chinese
                And very nice it was

They were busy, which is nice for them, but the new owner still hasn't developed the knack of random theorising about why

Comment

Bed changed

I did consider switching to the summer duvet, but the forecast is for it to cool down towards the end of the week so I didn't take the chance.

But I tried the "burrito method" of putting on the duvet cover for the first time, and it works very well

No way! I am so going to try that tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    No way! I am so going to try that tomorrow
                    It's good! Finally, a use for topology

Comment

Another view of the ISS accomplished, though it was lower down today.

Even with the binoculars turned up to x30, still couldn't see much, though the sky isn't exactly dark at the moment.

The moon is looking quite lovely with the craters showing quite well on the terminator.

And a toad came to say hello.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X