• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married

Comment

everybody having a BBQ tonight ?
      Married

Comment

Married

Comment

what will i put for the century post
          Married

Comment

something witty or drivel
            Married

Comment

qwertyuiop
              asdfghjkl
              zxcvbnm
              Married

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGarbs View Post
                Trip to Tesco was very good

Found a nice shady spot while MrsAG stood in the queue !!! then joined her about 6m from the man in a headset saying 'OK go on'

1-way system in place, but not many people sticking to it

TV schedule - Series 5 of Ultimate Airport Dubai on NatGeo at 8pm and 9pm (2 episodes), just wondering where season 4 is ?
                oooh drivel for century
                nobody here
                mine all mine
                everybody having a BBQ tonight ?
                what will i put for the century post
                something witty or drivel
                qwertyuiop
                asdfghjkl
                zxcvbnm
                drivel wins
                Married

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Finally got around to doing the thing for the National Library of Scotland, for which I will eventually receive a £10 Amazon voucher. It was surprisingly hard! There were a whole bunch of things (44 IIRC), which you had to group into categories as you thought best, naming said categories. The idea is to inform the way they arrange the various collections on their website so people can find them easily.

Does material about the 2014 Scottish referendum go under Scottish Politics or is it now Scottish History? What about Mary Queen of Scots; she was a political issue in her day, but that's presumably history now.

The archive of Nigerian literature - does that go with Soviet posters (being foreign and arts-related) or with 18th century Scottish writers (being literature) or should it go in its own category?

Studies of book bindings - actual existing bindings, not doing it. Arts and Crafts, maybe? If so, does that category also include the archive of old recipes, and the archive of knitting patterns? Do those three things actually belong together? Would people think to look there for them? And maybe those Soviet posters should be in there too, along with the comic book and graphic novels collection, though graphic novel people insist they're literature and you don't want to annoy them; they're very vocal for a bunch of nerds

Anyway, all done and submitted. In a few weeks they'll send me a survey about their conclusions, and then I get the Amazon thing

Sounds like they need tags and a date window for history? i.e. tag as Nigerian & Literature or Scottish Parliament but not history yet as it is under decade old? Each area should be under its own classification the search is the thing, poor old Dewey.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Sounds like they need tags and a date window for history? i.e. tag as Nigerian & Literature or Scottish Parliament but not history yet as it is under decade old? Each area should be under its own classification the search is the thing, poor old Dewey.
                    Tags are useful supplementary metadata, but a national library can't have a website interface that's nothing but a list of tags - they need to impose some kind of structure on the collections. And although Dewey Decimal works well for putting things on shelves, they want to organise their website so that visitors looking for their collection of Antarctic explorer materials, or their scans of Ordnance Survey maps, or their archive of knitting patterns, can find them by exploring what seem to the visitor to be relevant areas of the site. Hence the exercise in finding out how real people categorise things, even if that turns out to be different to the way a librarian would do it

Comment

qwertyuiop
                      asdfghjkl
                      zxcvbnm

Top drivelling there, sir

Comment

Working...
                      X