• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest sourdough loaf out of the oven.

YUM.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Yes its always the terrible British who did the Natives wrong and only they were evil. Funny now history seems to be written by those with their hands out.

Blowing from a gun - Wikipedia

Pass it on: The Secret that Preceded the Indian Rebellion of 1857
      |
      History

| Smithsonian Magazine

BBC - Shropshire - History - Robert Clive: Tearaway to empire builder

Of course we could have left India to the French,Spanish, Germans or worse the Belgians because their Empires worked so well. Or we could have left it to the Mughals (previous conquerors descended from that nice chap Genghis Khan who was known for his mild nature) who when we arrived were slaughtering the population in quantity.

Mughal Empire - Wikipedia
      Indeed. I often wonder quietly to myself how they'd have liked being in the Japanese Empire if we'd lost.

Apparently there are monuments to the opponents of the Evil British who fought variously with the Nazis and the Japanese.

But there we are, that was then & this is now.

The other thing that always makes me wonder is why, having thrown off the yoke of colonial oppression, so many would wish to live with their ex colonial masters half a world away.

It's a funny old world.

It's quite notable that no mention was made of the 10 million deaths during partition where the Evil British had buggered off into the sunset & left them to slaughter each other with gay abandon.

From reading I've done, the Septics were very keen to dismantle the British Empire in their endless search for "Freedom".
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 May 2020, 22:16.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Indeed. I often wonder quietly to myself how they'd have liked being in the Japanese Empire if we'd lost.

Apparently there are monuments to the opponents of the Evil British who fought variously with the Nazis and the Japanese.

But there we are, that was then & this is now.

The other thing that always makes me wonder is why, having thrown off the yoke of colonial oppression, so many would wish to live with their ex colonial masters half a world away.

It's a funny old world.

It's quite notable that no mention was made of the 10 million deaths during partition where the Evil British had buggered off into the sunset & left them to slaughter each other with gay abandon.

From reading I've done, the Septics were very keen to dismantle the British Empire in their endless search for "Freedom".

Yeah that is indeed a different narrative to the one Mr Portillo presented. Odd really if only we could be really honest 'its complicated' pretty much covers it!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          a bit like general then, particularly?

If only they were just dicks!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            The "Freedom" in question being, of course, to make the world free to buy Coca fecking Cola.

Entire countries have been "freed" to aid that goal. .

The books I've read recently about the CIA make that pretty clear.

Comment

I didn’t realise we were doing O Level history essays here now. I must dig out my pieces on the Norfolk Wherry (7,100 words) and the Mersey Tunnel (11,300 words) as they both got top marks despite each of them being roughly double the required length

Comment

Tonight's first major motion picture was Stalingrad (1993), a German film about it being a very bad idea for Germans to go there; a sentiment with which the residents of that city seem to agree. Thoroughly bleak, as one might expect given the circumstances

So I plumped for a little light relief after that, to wit, Ocean's Thirteen (2007), being the third of that ilk. it’s OK, avoiding the mistakes of the second film by sticking to one overarching complex scam rather than some complicated series of scams. The first one is still the best, and I daresay a Film Studies student could get good marks for a thesis comparing them all and explaining exactly why that is; I don’t know enough about the subject to explain it

And finally, for no very good reason, the Alan Partridge Christmas Special from 1995, Knowing Me Knowing Yule with Alan Partridge (TV Episode 1995). I remember the tears of laughter this induced when I watched it back then and even out of the context of the festive season, it is utterly hilarious

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

White sky.

Wanly sunny.

Coldish.

The blossom on the spiky bush thing are just going over, should have a nice crop of berries for the birds this autumn.

Saturday judging by the crap on the wireless.

There was some sort of walk going on from 6 til 7 indicated by the vague recollections I have.

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Where’s BP?

Comment

Working...
                      X