• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Indeed, bet he can’t sit down for a week

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    you can stand in for him any old time, pal.
    pig ignorant twat.

Comment

Apparently the association football finished about an hour ago so most of the masses should have wended their way home or to the pub by now, leaving it comparatively safe to head up to the Chinese in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Apparently the association football finished about an hour ago so most of the masses should have wended their way home or to the pub by now, leaving it comparatively safe to head up to the Chinese in a bit.
        off for a bite, in a bit then, eh?

compression is wonderful, these days.

Comment

In the Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            you can stand in for him any old time, pal.
            pig ignorant twat.
            sorry about that, i didn't ask it to pollute the thread.

Comment

In the Chinese
              And very nice it was

She was on the phone for the the entire duration of my visit, arguing with one of those ordering things - Just Eat or whatever. Apparently some customer had decided they didn’t like their dinner and been refunded £8 by said thing, but the Chinese’s own policy is that they only give refunds if you return the food (if necessary, the driver will come and collect it) and in this case, the bloke (it’s always a bloke) claimed he’d chucked it away and was somehow unable to retrieve any trace of it from the bin

So she wants her £8 back, but I doubt she’ll get it. Those ordering thingies need to show constant growth to keep the vulture capitalists happy, so they’ll let customers get away with any old crap. After all, it’s no skin off their nose if your takeaway loses the money

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                sorry about that, i didn't ask it to pollute the thread.
                Quite.

The Clive James Postcard from London was much more inneresting than the Postcard from Sidney.

"Clive James' Postcard from..." London (TV Episode 1991) - IMDb

Lovely to see Alan Coren, Peter Cook, Michael Caine, and Victoria Wood (with whom he shared a bed) again.

Especially Stanley Green:

Stanley Green - Wikipedia

Now he's talking to Mary Beard as a much much older man, slowly dying of leukaemia.

Jeez, it's so cruel.

I fear that this is painfully tedious, being about his poetry and dying.

The bit about his tv programmes is much better.

He wrote a poem about a tree and how it would outlast him.

And it died before he did.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 January 2020, 22:19.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight’s first movie special was a rewatch of Predator (1987), as it’s been upgraded to 4K since I last watched it nearly three years ago. As I’ve said before, it’s OK but it’s no Alien; in particular, a bunch of the macho soldier stuff seems more like a twelve-year-old boy’s idea of how soldiers talk and act, nowadays. But the effects hold up pretty well. Not sure I’ll ever bother watching it again though

After that I wasn’t sure what to watch, until I remembered a conversation earlier today:

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Then we wer on to "The Final Countdown", this being a curious time travel conceit involving the USS Nimitz being transported back to December 6th 1941.

I really enjoyed it, seeing those Zeroes shot down by the F14 Tomcats.
                  That’s a cracking film! Went to see it in the now-gone Granada cinema with my Dad and my brother. I must watch it again soon
                  So I watched The Final Countdown (1980) for the first time in a few years (the cinema in 1980 wasn’t the last time I saw it, but I think I’ve only seen it once or twice since). It really is a cracking film

Not long ago I stumbled across some comment thread somewhere - maybe Reddit, or Quora, or MetaFilter - in which somebody said that it seemed like about half the film was planes taking off and landing on the aircraft carrier. The odd thing is that they said this as if it was a bad thing

Firstly: that’s not a bad thing. Stuff landing on or taking off from aircraft carriers is always fun. Secondly: it’s probably slightly less than a third of the film, if that. And thirdly: it’s a film about an aircraft carrier finding itself unexpectedly facing the prospect of going into battle nearly forty years before it existed, and the whole point of the story is how incredibly powerful it is compared to naval and air forces of the Pearl Harbour era, so you’ve got to show all that stuff; it’s literally the entire point

Furthermore: some of them are helicopters, not planes

And finally, in the parts of the film that aren't things taking off and landing, they fit in an absolutely excellent time travel story. It really is exceptionally good

So what’s not to like?

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all if all there be

Grey.

Dark.

Dreary.

Drizzly.

Depressing.

Sunday judging by the singing on the wireless.

And finally, in the parts of the film that aren't things taking off and landing, they fit in an absolutely excellent time travel story. It really is exceptionally good

So what’s not to like?
                    Indeed.

The expression on "Tideman"'s face when he realises he's stuck in 1941 and the shock when she opens the MRE to find the inspection date of 1979.

Excellent stuff.

Along with the thought that the whole battle fleet could be destroyed with a single nuke to completely alter history.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X