• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine day, high cloud.

Living room at 18.7, laundry room at 14.9 with an overnight min of 14.3.

Autumn is on its way.

Still nearly dead after the lawn mowing exertion of yesterday evening.

TV last evening consisted solely of the final ep of S1 of "Carter".

The sky box will be dead by the time S2 turns up (if ever).

Nice that they didn't end it on a cliffhanger.

Maybe they'd read the runes.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all.

Bright and sunny morning as I prepare for another trip to the Dr's. Well, the nurse anyway. Time for another checkup on the "injury" although it all seems to be healing nicely now.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Time to stagger off down town once I've tidied stuff up a bit.

I may take a trip down the dump later on.

<hiatus>

Now in with the hoi polloi.

Off to Morrisons in a little while.

The washing is on.

The whites are going at 90 deg again.

It seems to work rather well.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 August 2018, 09:13.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out, though apparently it's going to cloud over. Not too warm though, and that's the main thing

Comment

Worked out why I kept hitting the rate limit on the old Twitter API I'm now forced to use. It turns out the limit applies per user, which means Tweetbot running on my Mac, phone, or iPad is using the same allocation as my feed-scraping bot. So I've dropped the frequency of the scraper down to every fifteen minutes, during which it makes up to five calls out of the fifteen available per fifteen-minute window, though usually less as it's smart enough not to get stuff it's already fetched.

There's a chance this might not be enough if, say, another 9-11 happens. But until I can write something to query the per-user rate limit status API (which allows twelve times the number of calls - 180/15min as opposed to 15/15min) and back off/ramp up according to the rate at which the rate limit is being used, it'll do

Twitter have issued a bulltulip statement moaning that the streaming APIs they're turning off are really old and they can't afford to support them any more, nor put in the effort to implement a replacement API. We know this is bulltulip for one simple reason: they already have a replacement API. It's the one their own apps use; if it didn't exist, their own apps wouldn't work.

They need to realise that they aren't a Twitter client company, or not any more. They're an advertising company that provides a set of APIs to consume streaming real-time data supplied by people tweeting, into which they insert ads. They should just move all third-party apps over to their own streaming APIs, with a requirement in the terms of use that says ads (aka promoted tweets and so on) can't be removed from the stream but must be shown to the user. I'd be OK with that.

Better still, let me pay them a reasonable sum per month for ad-free access to their service via any method I wish to use. At least they then have a source of income when advertisers finally realise that inserting their garbage into people's streams is more likely to get them blocked than drive sales

Comment

What's a Twitter??

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                What's a Twitter??
                It's like the Brexit forum on here, with fewer smilies and arguments kept to 280 characters.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

yawn in Manchester today

think the daughters may be coming over so we can go to the print works and watch the meg....

off on holiday on sunday...

yay

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    What's a Twitter??
                    I think it's something you crush to death with the iRon.

I see that everyone's nightmare is coming to pass: to whit The iCar.

A vehicle that gradually gets slower & slower everytime the operating system is updated in an attempt to make you buy another one.

And after a mere two years they won't fix it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      I think it's something you crush to death with the iRon.

I see that everyone's nightmare is coming to pass: to whit The iCar.

A vehicle that gradually gets slower & slower everytime the operating system is updated in an attempt to make you buy another one.

And after a mere two years they won't fix it any more.
                      Indeed - and a slight nudge to the bumpers will crack the windscreen too.

Comment

Working...
                      X