• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rain, storms, and anything else of that ilk are being very careful to pass fifteen to twenty miles to the east of us here

31°C in the living room, still

Comment

It's 22.4 now.

Brrrrrr.

I'm sat here waiting for the drier to start singing its little song at me but Miele drying times seem to be more than slightly flexible, mostly in the "oh, I said it was 5 minutes 5 minutes ago but it's really 15 minutes now" sort of thing.

And 15 minutes later it'll say something completely different.

To my complete & utter surprise, it's done.

Now I'm off to see if the machine recorded "Low Winter Sun" ep 9 yesterday.

I may be some time.

22.1 now.

"Low Winter Sun" finally seems to be getting somewhere.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 July 2018, 20:40.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Having had a couple of chicken thighs at lunchtime, a light evening meal: chicken and barley soup, with a couple of thick slices of wholemeal bread

Very warming

Comment

It's 22 deg C.

Having watched a programme about Engineering Disasters* on Blaze, I feel that it's TFBSZ.

*Controlled flight of a 777 into the seawall at the end of a runway being one such, with the stuck Seattle tunnel boring machine being another.

Comment

Tonight's entertainment was going to start with a film I haven't seen before, or at least not that I remember. But after a couple of minutes of credits, then a brutal murder, it went into five more minutes of detectives asking questions and going somewhere else and not even meeting the baddy yet, and frankly it was a little slow for my mood.

So I dumped that in favour of rewatching a film that knows how to start and knows not to stop: Speed (1994)

Cracking stuff

And then a couple more episodes to add to the occasional rewatch of The West Wing.

Goodnight all

Comment

Currently 20.2 deg C in the living room.

Torrential rain outside.

Had to get up during the night to shut all the windows.

Looks pretty windy out there too, so horizontal Welsh rain.

The weather is duly and truly unborked.

16.5 deg C in the laundry room & it feels colder outside.

Brrrrrr.

A little earlier there was a small river flowing down the road, not quite over topping the gutters but the passing cars were doing a good job of washing the pavement on this side.

The grey seems to be getting lighter, so maybe it's passing over a bit.

A good time to have a bonfire.

I don't suppose it's the right weekend to do any outdoor painting.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Just been examining the windows that don't open. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to remove the old putty, take out the pane (which is about four foot high by fourteen inches wide), free the painted-shut exterior of the sash, then put the pane back in with fresh putty. But as I have no experience of doing such things, I'd probably mess it up and end up with a broken window
              The classic sash windows I remember had the putty on the outside with the glass held against a rebate in the frame on the inside.

Dunno if they're all like that though.

Oh, and there's probably some little nails holding the pane in place, nicely hidden in the exterior putty.

In other news, looks like the sun is thinking of emerging from the grey.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 July 2018, 08:09.

Comment

Morning denizens

There has been rain

Not much, though, judging by the fact that it's almost all evaporated by now

But the temperature outside is down to a much more acceptable 17°C and isn't expected to rise above 19, so hopefully the flat will shed some of its heat. It's already down from 31°C last night to 29°C

And there's a moderate chance of thunderstorms later, which would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  The classic sash windows I remember had the putty on the outside with the glass held against a rebate in the frame on the inside.

Dunno if they're all like that though.

Oh, and there's probably some little nails holding the pane in place, nicely hidden in the exterior putty.
                  These have the putty on the inside for some reason. And I read something about the little nails, or sometimes specially-crafted metal tabs, that lurk within.

I decided that the whole process was too complicated and risky to undertake on my own, given the size and age of the windows: it's quite possible this is the original glass from circa 1880. I don't want to have to explain to the landlord that we need to arrange a full-on restoration of an ancient set of first floor sash windows because I felt rather warm for a few weeks

Comment

It was pleasantly cool on the trip down town to the metropolis that is Neath.

Very quiet, it was as if everyone was frightened of the rain.

The mandatory 8" of dvds was duly purchased along with some comestibles from Morrisons.

One dvd was "Blood Relatives" an Ed McBain 87th Precinct epic starring the rather miscast Donald Sutherland as Steve Carella.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076313/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It must be said that there's been very few good films made of Mr McBain's excellent books.

Curiously, it is set in Montreal.

Since the "real" 87th precinct city is never named in the entire 50 years of the late Mr McBain's writing, I suppose Montreal will have to do.

Canadian production, which explains that, I suppose.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 July 2018, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      These have the putty on the inside for some reason. And I read something about the little nails, or sometimes specially-crafted metal tabs, that lurk within.

I decided that the whole process was too complicated and risky to undertake on my own, given the size and age of the windows: it's quite possible this is the original glass from circa 1880. I don't want to have to explain to the landlord that we need to arrange a full-on restoration of an ancient set of first floor sash windows because I felt rather warm for a few weeks
                      Why can't you ask the landlord to have the windows unstuck?? - i certainly would have done that at the time they were painted shut.

Comment

Working...
                      X