• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Fail
    Bacon sales have slumped in the wake of warnings linking it with cancer
    Latest research shows sales of rashers have fallen by £123m since 2015
    YouGov survey found 34% of Britons believed bacon could cause cancer
    Because you (The Mail) told them it did....

Processed meats added to list of substances most likely to cause cancer | Daily Mail Online
    Last edited by DaveB; 20 December 2016, 12:17.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sainsbury's applewood smoked back bacon used to come in a pack of six rashers, total weight 220g. Now they come in packs of eight, total weight 275g. This means the rashers are thinner: previously 36.66g/rasher versus 34.375g/rasher now

For comparison, an adult Eurasian pygmy shrew weighs about 4g, so if you have two rashers in your cob, that's more than the weight of an entire shrew you've lost

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        But the bloody price hasn't gone down so supply and demand doesn't work if supermarkets are involved.
        it has if you buy bottom end cuts. 1lb Cooking Bacon (read the ends left in the slicer so they are nice & thick plus its mixed smoked & unsmoked) in Tesco is 60p used to be £1.

The posh stuff has retained its price.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

so there is a meeting at 2pm regarding the process that people need to follow. I created the bare bones early last week and someone is supposed to have been sent it on Wednesday to test and finalise it.

That person was only given it at 11am this morning and I'm refusing to attend the meeting as I've more documentation left to write than time available.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Sainsbury's applewood smoked back bacon used to come in a pack of six rashers, total weight 220g. Now they come in packs of eight, total weight 275g. This means the rashers are thinner: previously 36.66g/rasher versus 34.375g/rasher now

For comparison, an adult Eurasian pygmy shrew weighs about 4g, so if you have two rashers in your cob, that's more than the weight of an entire shrew you've lost
            The moral of the story is to purchase from the professionals and not the supermarket, then the slices are nice and thick.

A bacon roll in our house usually consists of 2 back and 2 streaky and that's butchers bacon, no point in fecking about
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              The moral of the story is to purchase from the professionals and not the supermarket, then the slices are nice and thick.

A bacon roll in our house usually consists of 2 back and 2 streaky and that's butchers bacon, no point in fecking about
              The difficulty is finding a decent butcher. As far as I know, the nearest traditional butcher to here is on the opposite side of the city on a road I pass along maybe twice a year, if that

Comment

So today the post brought a packet, ordered from some online outfit I vaguely remember hearing of, for the people who live at the same number house on the far end of the road, which has the same name as this end of the road but with "South" appended. Stuff for them turns up occasionally, and more often at Christmas, and I drop it off when I'm down that way going to the shops or the motorway.

One peculiarity of the family in question is that the parents have the initials B and D, and they chose to give their children names beginning with A and C, so I look out for anything addressed to A, B, C, or D {surname}. As their children were around university age (or nearing it) when I moved here and have long since moved away from home, we don't get much for them nowadays.

However this one, with the correct surname and their post code, was addressed to a Lara! Because of the video games, that's presumably started climbing the lists of popular names at christenings in recent years, so it must be a grandchild

Anyway, I stuck it to one side planning to drop it off when I was down that way, sometime in the next few days. But then I thought: if it's a grandchild, and it's addressed to them, maybe they're already at the grandparents for Christmas, either with or without their parents. And as it's from an online business, and a grandchild could only really be aged less than twelve and more likely six or seven, they won't have a credit card, so an adult must have ordered it on their behalf. So they're probably there waiting, and asking if the post's come yet, and being told it hasn't arrived yet and maybe it'll be here tomorrow, and so forth. So I figured what the hell, Tuesday afternoon is as good a time as any to go to the shops and drop it off on the way.

Now, their house is one of those that's accessed by a service road running down the side of the dual carriageway leading out of the city, and as I travelled along that road, I realised that on the dual carriageway there was a massive tailback. I dropped the thing off and continued and it turned out there was a multiple-vehicle rear end shunt with two of three lanes blocked, and ambulances there, and what have you

But this was just before the bit where you rejoin the main road from the service road. So, thanks to having made the detour to drop the thing off, I sailed past this huge queue of traffic, and got ahead of loads of people who would otherwise have been cluttering the shops

It's a Christmas miracle, I tells yer!

Comment

Finally got around to timing the distance to the Amazon Locker: from inside the flat to back inside the flat with the parcel was just a few seconds shy of six minutes

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Very nice it was too.

The trick is to always start hot and then half the temperature and let that bacon cook slow.
                    Never grill, always fry
                    I removed the rinds this time as my teeth are not the best for that sort of thing
                    Further to the wisdom of frying over grilling, it occurred to me this afternoon that an egg fried in the same pan as the bacon, and basted with the rendered bacon fat, is a superior accompaniment to an egg fried in the absence of bacon fat.

In years gone by I was a staunch adherent to the bacon and egg buttie, but of recent times I have come to appreciate more the bacon and mushroom option. I think keeping my own chickens made me appreciate a quality yoke, and the fact one couldn't get them in a morning buttie drove me into the arms of the mushroom. I regard it as a happy accident

Mushrooms cooked in the bacon fat would be superior too, now I come to think of it. In fact, i'm not sure anything wouldn't benefit from the treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      Further to the wisdom of frying over grilling, it occurred to me this afternoon that an egg fried in the same pan as the bacon, and basted with the rendered bacon fat, is a superior accompaniment to an egg fried in the absence of bacon fat.

In years gone by I was a staunch adherent to the bacon and egg buttie, but of recent times I have come to appreciate more the bacon and mushroom option. I think keeping my own chickens made me appreciate a quality yoke, and the fact one couldn't get them in a morning buttie drove me into the arms of the mushroom. I regard it as a happy accident

Mushrooms cooked in the bacon fat would be superior too, now I come to think of it. In fact, i'm not sure anything wouldn't benefit from the treatment.
                      yolk

I am a big egg fan - I get through a good dozen a week. Mushrooms are good as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X