• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new prime minister is.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's it.According to mal's thinking, if we start making Rees-Mogg, Sunak, etc pay their fair share of taxes, then they will sell all their houses and go live elsewhere. The drop in housing prices would be really bad. In his book we need them more than they need us.
    So you are a budding tax lawyer do you go and work for a billionaire or a multi billion turnover organisation with associated jet setting, big salary and benefits or move to Telford and work for a pittance?

It may be immoral but the rich have better lawyers. We should pursue them but we need to beef up HMRC to cope.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So you are a budding tax lawyer do you go and work for a billionaire or a multi billion turnover organisation with associated jet setting, big salary and benefits or move to Telford and work for a pittance?

It may be immoral but the rich have better lawyers. We should pursue them but we need to beef up HMRC to cope.
      Since no one on the right is coming up with any way of filling the tax hole and supporting the poor, then it's up to us in the centre to come up with suggestions. If every suggestion is met with "no because it won't work and we've never tried it and we'd prefer to keep the status quo, and you can't touch the rich", then it's no surprise that we're in the state we are in.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Since no one on the right is coming up with any way of filling the tax hole and supporting the poor, then it's up to us in the centre to come up with suggestions. If every suggestion is met with "no because it won't work and we've never tried it and we'd prefer to keep the status quo, and you can't touch the rich", then it's no surprise that we're in the state we are in.
        OK, I’m not on the right, but I’ll have a go.

Spend less.

Specific examples:

Don’t provide high tech arms to Ukrainians who then sell them on to our enemies.

Cut the benefits given to landlords (by definition, the idle rich). That could directly save around 20 billion a year, but would also benefit the poor, as rents would fall to the market level.

Cut public sector pay - giving us a more equal society and filling the tax hole.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

That was not a wise decision.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
            The real mystery is how Penny ever got that surge of popularity in the first place. All deeply unimpressive IMO, is this really the best we've got? Dismal.
            She was the least ugly/scrawny looking.

Shame she is so Woke.

Comment

Spend less.

Specific examples:

Don’t provide high tech arms to Ukrainians who then sell them on to our enemies.

Cut the benefits given to landlords (by definition, the idle rich). That could directly save around 20 billion a year, but would also benefit the poor, as rents would fall to the market level.

Cut public sector pay - giving us a more equal society and filling the tax hole.
              Good calls.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dunno how much weight they carry in Tory circles, but the IMF is on Rishi's side which must hearten him given everyone else wants to immediately make cuts.

Cutting UK taxes now would be a mistake, says IMF

Comment

If you cut the benefits given to landlords they will all just refuse tenants on any form of benefits so you need to:
                  1. Build more social housing 2. Get rid of RTB for any housing under 40 years old or that has repairs over 10k spent on it in the last 3 years.
                  3. Then the amount of benefits given to landlords will fall as less people will want their properties.

Point two is to ensure that older housing stock is sold off just before it becomes more expensive to maintain but not within 2 years of any major renovation.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What benefits do landlords get and what has that got to do with taking tenants on Benefits?

I've until recently rented a property and I think all the tenants were on full benefits but I was always paid directly so I couldn't tell for certain. If you ever managed to get a solid tenant who just paid on time and didn't cause trouble it was a pretty decent income stream so I can see the argument that private landlords shouldn't be profiting from that and that the state should be managing this - but on the other hand I can imagine it might cost twice as much (at least) for inefficient councils to manage all this. Basically they're outsourcing to private suppliers.

That said we only really ever had one of those "no fuss" tenants. The number of times we had problems because they'd had another child or a different bloke moved in and the benefit claim had to be re-started, or they just disappeared in the middle of the night leaving unpaid rent...

Social housing is different again but seems to be pretty unpleasant. Tenants are rough so get treated with suspicion and given bad conditions "they'll only trash it" and then live up to the expectations, a vicious cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      What benefits do landlords get and what has that got to do with taking tenants on Benefits?
                      Not a landlord, so I couldn’t give you a complete list. It was just an example of ludicrous waste of tax money.

They get twenty-something billion in housing benefit - even if they don’t rent to scroungers they effectively get double rent since the housing benefit pushes the price up for everyone. They get free heat pumps, insulation etc. They get around eight percent tax free profit on their borrowings (difference between interest rate and inflation). They are exempt from VAT. When they sell, they get a higher price due to lifetime ISAs. There’s some scam where they can burn wood chips to qualify for handouts. Subsidised legal scheme to help them steal deposits.

I’m sure the many BTL types on here could add some more. Strange contrast between how them and contractors are treated…

Anyway, how do we stop Rishi? Could be an extinction level event first for fairer-skinned contractors and then for the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X