• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    The mind simply boggles when I read with tears what has happened to the Uk contract market. I never in my life thought I would see developer roles at £120 a day inside even it is for a junior (and probably ambitious energetic person)

If this is the new normal then senior rates are also going to get hammered as well. That’s the scary part

What next? Unpaid interns as developers like they do in fashion?
    They have been trying that for a while.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Triple boomed. This week has been the busiest for recruitment I've ever known...

£425/day outside IR35 3 month gig on a project I like the sound of.

£70k perm and £525/day via Umbrella inside IR35 (6 months) offers on the table too.

Still to speak to existing client re.: perm offer, but I really, really want to stay.

Which would you take? I'm leaning towards the outside role is the best bet to ride out the storm for the next 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
        Triple boomed. This week has been the busiest for recruitment I've ever known...

£70k perm and £525/day via Umbrella inside IR35 (6 months) offers on the table too.

Still to speak to existing client re.: perm offer, but I really, really want to stay.

Which would you take? I'm leaning towards the outside role is the best bet to ride out the storm for the next 6 months.
        Depends who they are for. Outside will likely net you the most out of those 3 but make sure it's in a company that has some stability or growth through the pandemic. Probably best to choose the company in the best shape out of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          The mind simply boggles when I read with tears what has happened to the Uk contract market. I never in my life thought I would see developer roles at £120 a day inside even it is for a junior (and probably ambitious energetic person)

If this is the new normal then senior rates are also going to get hammered as well. That’s the scary part

What next? Unpaid interns as developers like they do in fashion?
          Rates are on a how low can you go journey to the absolute bottom! Way too many right to work in the UK vistas issued for IT staff via fake government skills shortages lists....

Comment

Eh! I thought the outside IR35 roles was only 3 months?!

Congratulations on getting the offers though and getting up to the crossing line. You know the rest ....

Comment

Aside from the financials, what can the perm job offer you? Is there an opportunity to improve existing skills / gain new skills, etc?

Comment

Two unrelated emails for different gigs offering £200/day this week

Wonder if it's fixed margin, either way they're going to get screwed by the type of applicant that accepts that

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Way too many right to work in the UK vistas issued for IT staff via fake government skills shortages lists....
                  Wait until 01/01/21 - we haven't seen anything yet..

A few choice snippets coming into effect in two weeks. And if you were hoping that the "going rate" provision (over and above the minimum salary requirement) might help, don't worry - everything related to IT is on the in-demand list, so the going rate doesn't apply!

Suspending the cap
                  17. As a first step towards reducing the burdens on employers and streamlining the sponsorship system, we will suspend the current cap on Tier 2 (General) visas (the current route for skilled workers), which will result in there being no limit on the numbers of skilled workers who can come to the UK. This change alone will reduce the end-to-end process for sponsoring skilled workers by up to four weeks, demonstrating the Government’s commitment to simplifying the immigration system for employers.

Abolishing the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT)
                  20. Under the new Skilled Worker route there will be no requirement for employers to undertake a RLMT. This reform will remove at least four weeks from the end-to-end process for sponsoring skilled workers. However, sponsors must still be seeking to fill a genuine vacancy which meets the skill and salary thresholds of the new route. Roles cannot be created solely to facilitate immigration of a specific migrant to the UK.

Comment

"looking for a Senior Java Developer for a 6-12 month freelance position based remotely.

Role Description

Skills:

Java/Backend (Main Skill)
                    IBM MQ
                    Cloud
                    Team Lead
                    Banking
                    Payments (Preferred)

Role description:

The lead developer should act as the go-to person for the client as well as the development team (offshore) and should drive the implementation of the first release of the newly introduced integration layer (Java Services).

Team lead for the offshore development team
                    Implementation of the required Java services
                    Setup of automated deployment pipelines
                    Alignment with the client team"

So basically be the person who gets the tulip when the offshore Bobs **** up big time...

Comment

Been using umbrella calculators for back-of-fag-packet estimates of take home for inside IR35, but well aware these calculators are usually sexed up. Any rough calculation I can use to compare "real" Inside IR35 Day Rate with a Perm Salary?
                      Inside IR35 and assuming you average about 19 days a month (so take 30 days off a year including bank holiday as you want to compare against a perm salary).

Rough calculation method:

400 a day is about 4000 a month net
                      500 a day is about 5000 a month net
                      600 a day is about 6000 a month net

I would never work inside IR35 i would rather go perm.
                      Ok perhaps i would for 1000+ a day..
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 December 2020, 20:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X