• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Yeah an important consideration is what rate you are comparing. The advertised rate by law can't include Employers NI or apprentice levy. So it's quite likely the rate OP is considering already excludes these (but please confirm this).

So really you're just left with deducting holiday + pension. I think most people inflate benefits to be worth much more than the actual cost to the employer and definitely more than the monetary value to themselves and i rarely include them in any comparison I am doing but if you do then you should value them at the likelihood you would use them * monetary benefit of using them.
    I'm having a very interesting conversation with the IPO at the moment regarding exactly your first point - note that I carefully used the phrase "agency umbrella rate" rather than the generic umbrella rate term to ensure I was clear in what I was saying.

But advertised generic umbrella rates will often include Employers NI and apprentice levy for there is no downside to the false advertising - and no example (regardless of what people claim) of any employment tribunal finding that an umbrella has made illegal deductions - the example quoted is the same single case that was won by default as the cost of contesting was greater than the amount contested.

So for anyone else reading this please remember that agencies will advertise the maximum possible rate (i.e. including the employer NI bit and ignoring holidays) as there is little downside.
    Last edited by eek; 15 December 2020, 11:32.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      "2X NEW CONTRACT ROLES - DO YOU KNOW ANYONE IN YOUR NETWORK?

Junior Software Developer, 3 month contract with remote working paying up to £120 per day INSIDE IR35 (through umbrella)

I am currently recruiting for recent grads or junior developers that have experience with either PHP or CFML. "
      what rubbish, haven’t you read the other thread? everyone here has billed 220 days this year at 10% above their usual rate.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
        "2X NEW CONTRACT ROLES - DO YOU KNOW ANYONE IN YOUR NETWORK?

Junior Software Developer, 3 month contract with remote working paying up to £120 per day INSIDE IR35 (through umbrella)

I am currently recruiting for recent grads or junior developers that have experience with either PHP or CFML. "
        Which part of the UK is this?

This is very sad and shocking for recent graduates and new people to the software development industry.
        If you are one of those, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS unless you need the money, desperately and urgently (like you are about to lose your home / slung on to the streets for homelessness ). Instead, go for a permanent job with employment rights, holiday and sick pay, pension and the protection and other things, like training. The gros salary equivalent is about £26.5K base. Also bear in mind, even though typical probation period is about 3-10 months in full time role, and even if probation is extended (I know someone who had a fight about it with their line manager / HR once upon time), you are still have the protection of being an employee of company. The longer you stay with client co the more you can improve, if your job is made redundant you get at least 1 week for every 1 year of service, and then once you get experience then jump into contracting ...

Over to you NLUK for more advice

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          Had couple of calls last week. But the one I had day before yesterday was super fast, interviewed same day, offered same day. Rate is not bad at all £550+. Initial 3 months. Accepted.

I have never seen such a busy December in my decade plus experience.
          Started the role yesterday. Going through plethora of documentation. Not much activity, December/Christmas is helping. Got another 2-3 weeks to show some deliverables. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

This is very sad and shocking for recent graduates and new people to the software development industry.
            If you are one of those, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS unless you need the money, desperately and urgently (like you are about to lose your home / slung on to the streets for homelessness ). Instead, go for a permanent job with employment rights, holiday and sick pay, pension and the protection and other things, like training. The gros salary equivalent is about £26.5K base. Also bear in mind, even though typical probation period is about 3-10 months in full time role, and even if probation is extended (I know someone who had a fight about it with their line manager / HR once upon time), you are still have the protection of being an employee of company. The longer you stay with client co the more you can improve, if your job is made redundant you get at least 1 week for every 1 year of service, and then once you get experience then jump into contracting ...

Ref the bit in bold, I believe that only kicks in after two years service.

Last in, first out.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Ref the bit in bold, I believe that only kicks in after two years service.

Last in, first out.
              Yes you are correct. I am not sure when this legal change kicked in. Restructuring happened for me in 2010, so excuse me if I was out of date. Check how much redundancy pay you can get - Citizens Advice

Well, I would still go for full time employment if I was 24 years old ago with less than 12 month professional experience and I also had the my whole career ahead of me.

Comment

Yes you are correct. I am not sure when this legal change kicked in. Restructuring happened for me in 2010, so excuse me if I was out of date. Check how much redundancy pay you can get - Citizens Advice

Well, I would still go for full time employment if I was 24 years old ago with less than 12 month professional experience and I also had the my whole career ahead of me.
                Chapter IV, section 155 has been in place since the Employment Rights Act 1996 was enacted

Employment Rights Act 1996

155 Qualifying period of employment

An employee does not have any right to a redundancy payment unless he has been continuously employed for a period of not less than two years ending with the relevant date.
                It's likely you were made redunandant from a nicer company who offered more than the statutory minimum.

Comment

Maybe there's someone young, starting out on their career, living with parents and looking to get a first bit of experience on their CV. It's a tough market and it will suit someone. Hopefully as soon as something better comes along, they'll move on.

Comment

The mind simply boggles when I read with tears what has happened to the Uk contract market. I never in my life thought I would see developer roles at £120 a day inside even it is for a junior (and probably ambitious energetic person)

If this is the new normal then senior rates are also going to get hammered as well. That’s the scary part

What next? Unpaid interns as developers like they do in fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                      The mind simply boggles when I read with tears what has happened to the Uk contract market. I never in my life thought I would see developer roles at £120 a day inside even it is for a junior (and probably ambitious energetic person)

If this is the new normal then senior rates are also going to get hammered as well. That’s the scary part

What next? Unpaid interns as developers like they do in fashion?
                      only for London PMs
                      hth

Comment

Working...
                      X