• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Seriously, if you don't take things seriously, things might get serious

    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    This is a rather sweeping statement. I for one am not willing to go wherever for a contract - if it means being away from home in the week or travelling abroad then I discount myself from the off.
    When I started contracting I moved to a new house within commuting distance of London. It was actually over 100 miles from London but on a train route. For a lot of my 'career' I was in places like Newcastle, Exeter, Ashford, Norwich but then again my new address was close the centre of the country and with access to the A1. M1, M6, M11 etc. If you make no effort to position yourself for your business then don't be surprised if your business becomes challenged.

    (Prior to contracting I was living in Scotland - I got out of there like a shot )
    Last edited by Cirrus; 5 May 2017, 09:22.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

    Comment


      Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      When I started contracting I moved to a new house within commuting distance of London. It was actually over 100 miles from London but on a train route. For a lot of my 'career' I was in places like Newcastle, Exeter, Ashford, Norwich but then again my new address was close the centre of the country and with access to the A1. M1, M6, M11 etc. If you make no effort to position yourself for your business then don't be surprised if your business becomes challenged.

      (Prior to contracting I was living in Scotland - I got out of there like a shot )
      Where is your house?

      Comment


        Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        Where is your house?
        To quote from my profile: Rural Rutland
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

        Comment


          Rural, but somewhere near Peterborough?

          Comment


            Originally posted by SeanT View Post
            Rural, but somewhere near Peterborough?
            The whole of Rutland is near Peterborough.

            From Rutland you can commute to London via Peterborough, Leicester or one train a day across the Welland Valley.

            Or hourly trains to HSBC rates in Birmingham (done that).

            What more do you want?
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

            Comment


              Indeed - I'd actually like to go back there as all my family are from there, but wifey has a full time job in Coventry and the kids go to school here too. Fortunately a dead easy commute to London, Northampton, Brum, Nottingham et al

              P.S. are HSBC looking in BHM?

              Comment


                Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                P.S. are HSBC looking in BHM?
                I don't know but I suspect they are.

                I went for an interview last year. The woman said "Your CV only goes up to 2013 - what have you been doing since then?" I said "I've been working for you in the very office you are now interviewing me in"

                Crazy company.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  (...) If you make no effort to position yourself for your business then don't be surprised if your business becomes challenged. (...)
                  Exactly. That's why I live in London, in Zone 2, within a comfortable walking distance to two transport networks (DLR and The Tube). Heck, if all transport went tits up, I could still walk to my work, if necessary. Come close to work and work comes close to you.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    This is a rather sweeping statement. I for one am not willing to go wherever for a contract - if it means being away from home in the week or travelling abroad then I discount myself from the off.
                    Then you are missing out on some great roles, I live in Leeds but am working in London (away two nights a week) the company and time is very exciting, very interesting and will do my CV a world of good. I have an offer for another contract back in Leeds, but location is the only factor that would appeal to me and even that is not enough to bring me back from London
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

                    I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Then you are missing out on some great roles, I live in Leeds but am working in London (away two nights a week) the company and time is very exciting, very interesting and will do my CV a world of good. I have an offer for another contract back in Leeds, but location is the only factor that would appeal to me and even that is not enough to bring me back from London
                      Well I have always been lucky so far and is a risk I am willing to take. I can commute into London so there is less of a need to be away from home.
                      ______________________
                      Don't get mad...get even...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X