• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And if you live on the Southern line forget it unless the role includes significant WFH.
    Absolutely. Anyone in the Southern Rail area is at a distinct disadvantage at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      However there is an argument, that when in a dull role, for learning new skills off your own bat during quiet times/commuting on the train/staying overnight and on weekends. But I concur one of the reasons I chose contracting was not to become bored/stale.

qh
      I take your point but you only truly learn something by doing it commercially i.e. doing it all day in your job.

You can self learn and that will get you started but you get real experience by doing it day after day. I have been in IT for over 24 years now and I still learn stuff almost on a daily basis working on real life projects with the real life challenges that they throw up.

Comment

Originally posted by kingmob View Post
        yep this was posted on JS today

"Client's preference is for someone to be located within a commutable distance to site where possible."
        Yes but as other posters have said, staying in a hotel within a couple of miles of the site fits 99% of employers criteria

Hiring managers want good people who can do the job first and foremost, they do not care where you are from. You only normally find that issues like commuting distance come into it when HR people are involved and are filtering CV's.

Always explain in your covering letter that you work nationwide and relocate often for roles and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
          Yes but as other posters have said, staying in a hotel within a couple of miles of the site fits 99% of employers criteria

Hiring managers want good people who can do the job first and foremost, they do not care where you are from. You only normally find that issues like commuting distance come into it when HR people are involved and are filtering CV's.

Always explain in your covering letter that you work nationwide and relocate often for roles and you should be fine.
          You are aware covering emails are never read?

The best way to get roles out of your area is remove locations from your CV.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The simple answer is it depends on the client. More and more adverts are specifying local candidates only.

For those who say take your location off the CV, I had a 300 mile round trip to an interview the other week and knew it was over before it started when the guy asked me how far I had travelled to get there.

It shouldn't make a difference but in a lot of instances proximity to the client does make a difference.

Comment

Australia now protecting their own IT workers just like US announced. But PM May still does not think its a problem in the UK when she announced her snap election earlier: Australia to introduce stricter rules on working visas - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                Australia now protecting their own IT workers just like US announced. But PM May still does not think its a problem in the UK when she announced her snap election earlier: Australia to introduce stricter rules on working visas - BBC News
                Umm, sorry to disappoint you but Developer Programmer, Analyst Programmer and ICT Business Analyst are all still on the shortage occupations list in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
                  Umm, sorry to disappoint you but Developer Programmer, Analyst Programmer and ICT Business Analyst are all still on the shortage occupations list in Australia.
                  Right I'm emigrating .....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Right I'm emigrating .....
                    New Zealand too.

The perm rates seem very attractive there
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      New Zealand too.

The perm rates seem very attractive there
                      Gotta weigh up the fact that everything seems to be more expensive there too.

Comment

Working...
                      X