• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Doesn't work. Been tried many times before - Enterprise Architect, etc, and many before that.

Part of the problem with this 'utopia' is the lack of round-tripping. Code and 'spec' evolve separately and no longer represent one another. Not only that but it's very waterfall. This notion that the entire application can be spec'ed-out at the start and code generated from it is utterly ridiculous. Development evolves and so does a developers understanding of the requirements and required solution. Then you have to question who's actually doing the 'spec' from which the code will be generated. It's usually a failed developer who's moved into architecture. And developers 'hate' this kind of approach - filling in the blanks. It's like Van Gogh doing a 'painting by numbers'.
    I agree, code diverges from the spec all the time, but if the tests are written against the spec and not the "evolved" code they should catch those points of departure and trigger spec adjustment. The fact that people don't bother to do it is another matter. I think we are getting closer to the nirvana with Swagger/YAML.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

@Sussex most of the automated testers I've worked with have come from a testing background. Most of them were not the sharpest tools in the shed. I started off doing automation testing - it's not difficult.

Comment

The market will always be buoyant if you are prepared to travel and go where the work is

The only good IT contractors I ever see out of work for a significant amount of time (unless its december/january) are ones who will not move away from their local area for contracts.

As other posters have said as well - any time off you get work on your skills and keep them up to date and one other piece of advice I would give is never stay in a contract to long. You get a broad range of skills and different experiences from working with different teams. Do not stay somewhere for over 18 months, you and your skills will just become stale.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
          The market will always be buoyant if you are prepared to travel and go where the work is

The only good IT contractors I ever see out of work for a significant amount of time (unless its december/january) are ones who will not move away from their local area for contracts.

As other posters have said as well - any time off you get work on your skills and keep them up to date and one other piece of advice I would give is never stay in a contract to long. You get a broad range of skills and different experiences from working with different teams. Do not stay somewhere for over 18 months, you and your skills will just become stale.
          However there is an argument, that when in a dull role, for learning new skills off your own bat during quiet times/commuting on the train/staying overnight and on weekends. But I concur one of the reasons I chose contracting was not to become bored/stale.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post

If only if it was as simple as having to travel to get a contract! I find that a lot of places only want people near to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              If only if it was as simple as having to travel to get a contract! I find that a lot of places only want people near to them.
              yep this was posted on JS today

"Client's preference is for someone to be located within a commutable distance to site where possible."

Comment

Here in London its unspoken but usually comes up in the interview or by the recruitment agent how far away do you live. Its most definitely a factor in hiring for contractors as most clients do not want someone who has a long commute in case they need them urgently & or out of hours!

Comment

Originally posted by kingmob View Post
                  yep this was posted on JS today

"Client's preference is for someone to be located within a commutable distance to site where possible."
                  Erm, isn't staying in a hotel nearby exactly that? That's what I do. Most companies are willing to give a bit of flexibility with Monday/Friday being short days for those who live further providing you're not taking the p***. Personallly, I'll even give a bit of extra time during the week if needed (give and take!). Heck, I even find I'm more productive when doing longer days Tue-Thu when the office quietens down too - less gobtulipes around .

Sure, some folks (the unprofessional ones) probably hand in their notice when a contract closer to home comes up - they can give us a bad rep I guess. Personally, I'll always see a contract through
                  Last edited by SuperZ; 12 April 2017, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                    Erm, isn't staying in a hotel nearby exactly that? That's what I do. Most companies are willing to give a bit of flexibility with Monday/Friday being short days for those who live further providing you're not taking the p***. Personallly, I'll even give a bit of extra time during the week if needed (give and take!).
                    Some don't even want that, which is frankly ridiculous as you would be nearer than most of the people who work there.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Here in London its unspoken but usually comes up in the interview or by the recruitment agent how far away do you live. Its most definitely a factor in hiring for contractors as most clients do not want someone who has a long commute in case they need them urgently & or out of hours!
                      And if you live on the Southern line forget it unless the role includes significant WFH.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X