• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Considering the time you've had on the bench I think you should be spending it building up your dev skills. Unless you're doing anything else to increase your skill set or value to your business then it's time wasted.
    This +1.

    I had a lean time once and decided to hit the books and the forums.
    In a following interview they were impressed with what I knew and subsequently I then got working knowledge of that technology on my CV.

    Haven't done jack all with it since but got 8 months work out of it.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

    Comment


      Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Considering the time you've had on the bench I think you should be spending it building up your dev skills. Unless you're doing anything else to increase your skill set or value to your business then it's time wasted.
      Ultimately if I had dev skills I would be a developer! I last did any serious coding about 20 years ago at college so it isn't a case of just self teaching as the technology and methods have moved on so much.

      Comment


        Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Ultimately if I had dev skills I would be a developer! I last did any serious coding about 20 years ago at college so it isn't a case of just self teaching as the technology and methods have moved on so much.
        I've known other contractors without dev skills who when they found themselves on the bench for a long time started to learn something.

        There are free courses all over the web and/or you can buy a book.

        Yes it will be hard at first but no pain no gain.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

        Comment


          Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Ultimately if I had dev skills I would be a developer! I last did any serious coding about 20 years ago at college so it isn't a case of just self teaching as the technology and methods have moved on so much.
          It's a DevOps world now. The first three letters should give you the clue. I never stop learning. I wish I had the time to learn even more as I can see a lot of niches where there is good money to be made (IoT, ML). If you stop learning, you get outsourced.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

          Comment


            Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
            And spend all day in useless meetings, fill Jira for bobs and rest time spend planning project and writing emails? For less money? Sounds like a plan.

            If you are dev and you enjoy what you do, that is not an option
            Why don't you just spin up some code to automate the tasks in your first paragraph?

            Comment


              Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              SE means Test Management.

              Still a very viable game to be in and commands good money.
              It's not too bad, but the offshore crowd is starting to edge in on it now.

              The downside is that that is putting pressure on headline rates (e.g. I was contacted earlier this week about an SAP Test Manager role in GSK that Tech Mahindra are managing, £300pd! Should be closer to twice that).

              The upside is that they tend to manage by numbers on a spreadsheet, so anyone with decent planning or soft skills is still in demand.

              Comment


                Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Near Brighton.
                How "involved" are you in the test community?

                You might want to check out Ministry of Testing / Software Testing Club (they're based in Brighton, there was a TestBash there last week). Their "dojo" has a few video courses, maybe get yourself to a few meetups and network through them.

                Maybe also check out the testersio slack channel for a bit of support from fellow testers.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  It's not too bad, but the offshore crowd is starting to edge in on it now.

                  The downside is that that is putting pressure on headline rates (e.g. I was contacted earlier this week about an SAP Test Manager role in GSK that Tech Mahindra are managing, £300pd! Should be closer to twice that).

                  The upside is that they tend to manage by numbers on a spreadsheet, so anyone with decent planning or soft skills is still in demand.
                  Its what my Mrs. contracts in, when she isn't working on her test software start up.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Ultimately if I had dev skills I would be a developer! I last did any serious coding about 20 years ago at college so it isn't a case of just self teaching as the technology and methods have moved on so much.
                    Sorry to be harsh but that's a permie mentality. The industry has moved away from your skill set - you need to move on or shut up shop.

                    Comment


                      Everyone is assuming I haven't been picking up new stuff on my 'sabbatical'. In my experience people who do the heavy duty test automation (beyond record and replay and basic editing) are from a development background (hence the rise of the Developer In Test) so there is a limit to what can be gained from investing time into that.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X