• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

What kind of companies are these?

If going through an agent then the agent chases feedback, if going direct then there is normally a HR person or similar in the mix who will send the rejection email?
    I applied direct and after two interviews one being in person I got zilch ! I emailed the HR person as they arranged the in person interview and still nothing.... dodged a bullet but so bloody rude! They hirer was talking salaries with me I thought it was a dead cert...it is a mystery but it's not on to treat people in that way...I put a lot of effort in and travelled.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Got a perm role rejection today for a job I applied for almost a month ago. I've done the same role six times in various companies as a permie and contractor but the fact I even got a rejection is a minor victory to end the week
    Best rejections are those for Easy Apply's via LI, after several months, when you no longer even remember you applied

Seen an ad yesterday for a tech lead position for some automation tulipe somewhere in the UK, salary range was 40k - 80k who the hell comes up with this crap?

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
    Had exactly the same. Initial teams call and then face to face, that was two weeks ago. Also, interviewed very well I thought. But the same, not got back to me.
    What kind of companies are these?

If going through an agent then the agent chases feedback, if going direct then there is normally a HR person or similar in the mix who will send the rejection email?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Had exactly the same. Initial teams call and then face to face, that was two weeks ago. Also, interviewed very well I thought. But the same, not got back to me. You kinda accept it with contracts. But when somebody has had two interviews, it's common decency to send a quick email to say thanks but no thanks. Quite annoyed by it.
    Disagree slightly; I'm happy not to get an acknowledgement for an application being received or that I haven't got an interview. However, if I get an interview by Teams or face to face then I expect a contact\email informing me of my success or not, especially if I've travelled for the interview, contract or permie it doesn't matter as at this stage they've whittled down the candidates to a handful. So if this happened (which thankfully it hasn't as I've always been told following an interview) then I'd be inclined to think I'd dodged a bullet.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by Cookielove View Post

Getting a reply is a plus...I had two interviews for a perm role end of last year, one on Teams then second in person at their offices...they did not even get back to me. I put in a lot of effort...and nada!! They wanted ideas of x,y and z...think it was a con to get info on what to do

Am in a role but it is ending they have someone perm paying them c£50k , 20 years less experience...they can get people much younger/much cheaper....very demoralising the thought of looking again
    Had exactly the same. Initial teams call and then face to face, that was two weeks ago. Also, interviewed very well I thought. But the same, not got back to me. You kinda accept it with contracts. But when somebody has had two interviews, it's common decency to send a quick email to say thanks but no thanks. Quite annoyed by it.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Got a perm role rejection today for a job I applied for almost a month ago. I've done the same role six times in various companies as a permie and contractor but the fact I even got a rejection is a minor victory to end the week
    Getting a reply is a plus...I had two interviews for a perm role end of last year, one on Teams then second in person at their offices...they did not even get back to me. I put in a lot of effort...and nada!! They wanted ideas of x,y and z...think it was a con to get info on what to do

Am in a role but it is ending they have someone perm paying them c£50k , 20 years less experience...they can get people much younger/much cheaper....very demoralising the thought of looking again

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Three out-of-the-blue calls from recruiters after months of radio silence. It's not much but it's just about a heartbeat in the market.

To be honest I'm enjoying telling them I'm on sabbatical when this contract finishes.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post

To make it worse, the price of cold gravel has soared in recent years.

And cracked teacups, pieces of damp cloth and poison are much pricier too LOL...

But at least Chateau de Chasselas is still affordable for the rich.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Good times around the corner?
    I look at the FTSE 250 for one indication of the state of the UK economy.

FTSE 250 is above 20,000 today. Which is good.

But needs to breakout above 21,000 to confirm a new uptrend and a potential end of the FTSE 250 bear market.

The FTSE 250 and UK contractor market have been highly correlated in the past. When the FTSE 250 gets back to all time highs, around 24000, the boom times for contractors should be back too. Although the contract market should start picking up a bit before that.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Today, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Good times around the corner?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...m/services-pmi

The S&P Global UK Services PMI jumped to 55 in April of 2024 from 53.1 in the earlier month, pointing to the sixth consecutive period of expansion, at the sharpest pace in one year. Service providers enjoyed a sharp increase in new orders amid a turnaround in economic conditions for clients. Paired with lower backlogs of work, business activity also recorded a considerable increase. Still, figures from April pointed to an only marginal increase in staffing levels, with surveyees citing difficulties to fill vacancies and purposeful hesitation to take in staff due to the high costs of labor. In fact, elevated wage pressures drove input costs for service providers to rise the most since August 2023, with many noting the increase in the National Living Wage as an added pressure. In the meantime, companies remained upbeat about business activity prospects in the year ahead, pinned by signs of turnaround in client demand, forthcoming marketing initiatives, and long-term expansion plans. source: S&P Global

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    At this rate, contractors will be working twenty nine hours a day down the mill, and paying the mill owner for permission to come to work.
    To make it worse, the price of cold gravel has soared in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by umeshk View Post
    It's way below the contractor rate, or perm salary I would really go for, it's in the low £30's. Be onsite for initial on-boarding for a few weeks then 2 days on-site, with a 1.5hour drive each way.
    The key question is whether it's enough for you to live off. If it will pay the bills then take it; if it's going to put you further into debt then I'd be more hesitant. (I did consider a "slow puncture" rate when I was desperate, but fortunately I found something better just in time.)

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by umeshk View Post
    Explaining if & when I decide to move on "why I took a low pay & lower skillset job" conversation with agencies and potential clients.
    When applying for the next job always spin the last job and big it up, nobody knows exactly what you did in the last role or how much you got paid.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Yesterday, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• Paracelsus
    replied
    Y axis looks to be dual-purpose and mean either interest rate (blue) or months from start of rate rises to recession (black bars)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X