• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unified Payroll: Payment £6.5k withheld (Hacking apparently!!!)"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Slightly offtopic - and I would love DaveB 's comment but one thing I would be checking is how integrated an umbrella's systems are.

I've discussed this a number of times recently and personally attaching an open banking transaction interface to your accountancy software is a risk too far - better to keep payments as a separate process (download batch file from accountancy software, and run the batch file in the bank software / website manually).
    A thousand million times this in bold. I would never, ever allow a potential backdoor to anything like accounting software. It's just asking for trouble. Even worse, you might well be accused of compromising your account security if there's an insurance claim involved.

Leave a comment:

• Pavanski
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Oh no! Thank you for sharing this. I have been chasing them and so on. Does this mean I don't get my money back? Grateful for Any ideas or help regarding this? Thank you in advance!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    A sad update.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...iquidator.html

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Doesn't work for me.
    Yep - easiest way to get past a Javascript enforced paywall is via the Bypass Paywalls browser extension.

bypass-paywalls-chrome/README.md at master · iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome · GitHub

And given that they are using browser side Javascript to restrict access I have zero qualms in using it to bypass stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post

As a complete aside, you can often bypass this kind of thing by adding a period/full stop after the domain name part of the URL, i.e. after "com" in this case:
    https://www.computerweekly.com./news...ed-data-breach

Something to do with not blocking search engines or summat, it works on quite a lot of sites.
    Doesn't work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Story in Computer Weekly (Junk email required to reach the full article)
    As a complete aside, you can often bypass this kind of thing by adding a period/full stop after the domain name part of the URL, i.e. after "com" in this case:
    https://www.computerweekly.com./news...ed-data-breach

Something to do with not blocking search engines or summat, it works on quite a lot of sites.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    I would have thought any company handling such large sums on money would have insurance in place for these things. Since this has just happened, clearly it will take a few days ( if not weeks) for them to come up with a plan to reimburse their employees.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pavanski View Post

I went to the Employment Tribunal website and it says I have to go first to ACAS. I guess I'll start there, unless you have any other insights? Thanks again
    Speak to a solicitor - the first call should be free.

Leave a comment:

• Pavanski
    replied

Given a limited pot of money - getting in early would be a very sensible idea...
    I went to the Employment Tribunal website and it says I have to go first to ACAS. I guess I'll start there, unless you have any other insights? Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Pavanski
    replied

Given a limited pot of money - getting in early would be a very sensible idea...
    Thank you. Really appreciate the tip. I actually went to look at gov.uk. I'd best get started then.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pavanski View Post

I know it might sound a bit premature...but is it worth lodging something with the employment Tribunal fairly quickly? Just as a precaution at least?

Leave a comment:

• Pavanski
    replied

Employment tribunal is where you need to head - whether they've got the money to pay the amount owed is a very different question...
    I know it might sound a bit premature...but is it worth lodging something with the employment Tribunal fairly quickly? Just as a precaution at least?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

But to have that kind of firebrake means manual intervention, and that means money needs to be spent on the 'manual' bit.

Better a penny saved now than a pound lost later, obviously...
    5 minutes work to protect an account that may have £100,000+ flowing through it on a Friday. That to me would be worth the very slight hassle.
    Last edited by eek; 14 October 2021, 14:17. Reason: Changed time based on a tiny bit of research

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Slightly offtopic - and I would love DaveB 's comment but one thing I would be checking is how integrated an umbrella's systems are.

I've discussed this a number of times recently and personally attaching an open banking transaction interface to your accountancy software is a risk too far - better to keep payments as a separate process (download batch file from accountancy software, and run the batch file in the bank software / website manually).
    But to have that kind of firebrake means manual intervention, and that means money needs to be spent on the 'manual' bit.

Better a penny saved now than a pound lost later, obviously...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X