• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unified Payroll: Payment £6.5k withheld (Hacking apparently!!!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unified Payroll: Payment £6.5k withheld (Hacking apparently!!!)

I hope someone can help me here, and suggest some ways of getting this sorted:

Basically my umbrella company owes me £6.5k and along with Giant, they got hacked?
    I keep calling them but they keep saying directors are working with the banks and we have no idea when we can sort this.
    So. I'm a bit stifled.

It's a lot of money and I am not getting anything sensible apart from "We don't know when this can be sorted out".
    What can I do?
    Grateful for *any* advice or pointers here please. Thanks

Originally posted by Pavanski View Post

Basically my umbrella company owes me £6.5k and along with Giant, they got hacked?
    I keep calling them but they keep saying directors are working with the banks and we have no idea when we can sort this.
    So. I'm a bit stifled.

It's a lot of money and I am not getting anything sensible apart from "We don't know when this can be sorted out".
    What can I do?
    WE don't 100% know what is happening at unified payroll.

My advice would be to start using another umbrella and investigate an employment tribunal...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So. I'm a bit stifled.

What can I do?
      Story in Computer Weekly (Junk email required to reach the full article)

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...ed-data-breach
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Story in Computer Weekly (Junk email required to reach the full article)

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...ed-data-breach
        I don't think that says anything we (or at least I) don't know.

Supposedly they lost (at least on a temporary basis) access to the bank accounts (what I suspect but no-one will confirm is that a pile of money was been taken from it as well).

The OP's post above does seem to confirm the latter point...
        Last edited by eek; 14 October 2021, 11:06.

Comment

The OP's post above does seem to confirm the latter point...
          Thanks for your replies. And as eek says, I know this much (about the hacking/ransomware etc). What I was asking was what can I do, under the current circumstances to try and recover my money?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. And as eek says, I know this much (about the hacking/ransomware etc). What I was asking was what can I do, under the current circumstances to try and recover my money?

Any help gratefully accepted.
            Employment tribunal is where you need to head - whether they've got the money to pay the amount owed is a very different question...

Comment

Slightly offtopic - and I would love DaveB 's comment but one thing I would be checking is how integrated an umbrella's systems are.

I've discussed this a number of times recently and personally attaching an open banking transaction interface to your accountancy software is a risk too far - better to keep payments as a separate process (download batch file from accountancy software, and run the batch file in the bank software / website manually).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Slightly offtopic - and I would love DaveB 's comment but one thing I would be checking is how integrated an umbrella's systems are.

I've discussed this a number of times recently and personally attaching an open banking transaction interface to your accountancy software is a risk too far - better to keep payments as a separate process (download batch file from accountancy software, and run the batch file in the bank software / website manually).
                But to have that kind of firebrake means manual intervention, and that means money needs to be spent on the 'manual' bit.

Better a penny saved now than a pound lost later, obviously...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

But to have that kind of firebrake means manual intervention, and that means money needs to be spent on the 'manual' bit.

Better a penny saved now than a pound lost later, obviously...
                  5 minutes work to protect an account that may have £100,000+ flowing through it on a Friday. That to me would be worth the very slight hassle.
                  Last edited by eek; 14 October 2021, 14:17. Reason: Changed time based on a tiny bit of research

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Employment tribunal is where you need to head - whether they've got the money to pay the amount owed is a very different question...
                    I know it might sound a bit premature...but is it worth lodging something with the employment Tribunal fairly quickly? Just as a precaution at least?

Comment

Working...
                    X