• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Potholes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Potholes"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    There are stretches of the M6 that are full of potholes - specifically lanes 1 & 2. And that M'lud is why I was driving in the 3rd and 4th lanes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Surprised no-one at Slough council has yet seen that as an opportunity to branch out into low-cost burials - and less man-made materials needed to fill the hole.
    the chances of them actually clicking to that is remote..

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    There is a road near Slough crematorium that is hopeless
    Surprised no-one at Slough council has yet seen that as an opportunity to branch out into low-cost burials - and less man-made materials needed to fill the hole.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    There is a road near Slough crematorium that is hopeless, I drove down it the delivery truck Saturday night!

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Presumably the thinking is that they don't know to what standard the repair has been done. And the council will be liable for compensation that is not covered by insurance should anyone suffer a loss as a result of it failing in any way (e.g. a stone coming off it injuring someone).
    Yes that'll be the reason but if you look at the standard of official repair its usually crap. Around us some bloke turns up with some tarmac filler and stamps it into the hole. Next time a tractor passes over it pulls it out and we have a hole again, rinse and repeat The problem is in giving one contractor a long term contract and its not in their interests to solve the problem

What we need is the job done properly in the first place with proper kerbs and drainage

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    It is the pernicious effect of excessive risk aversion and compensation culture.
    ...and outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Presumably the thinking is that they don't know to what standard the repair has been done. And the council will be liable for compensation that is not covered by insurance should anyone suffer a loss as a result of it failing in any way (e.g. a stone coming off it injuring someone).

It is the pernicious effect of excessive risk aversion and compensation culture.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I think it's just one more aspect of the UK going to pot.

Probably all because of global warming, or because you have to use green-friendly vegan tarmac or something.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I think it's just one more aspect of the UK going to pot.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Yer right, I don't either. Worse I recall at the moment.
    I have never needed to dodge or drive around potholes in the UK until now. Some are f****** dangerous on the main roads in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Were there this many potholes say 15 or 20 years ago after freezing weather or is it a recent thing? i don't seem to remember this many in the past.
    Yer right, I don't either. Worse I recall at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied

Were there this many potholes say 15 or 20 years ago after freezing weather or is it a recent thing? i don't seem to remember this many in the past.
    Never seen it this bad, there's literally sections of roads here (Surrey) which look like from a war torn country, pot holes big enough to eat your whole wheel. You can try to manoeuvre around them, but there's so many you will definitely hit something.

Absolute joke.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

no it wasn't as bad.

oh look they have data

https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/55fe...-potholes-data

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It was probably a service trench

https://news.sky.com/story/giant-pot...s-say-12856145

It was actually a "service trench" being used for "permitted work" by a gas company, SoCalGas, authorities in Los Angeles have said.

Responding to the authorities, Daniel Ketchell, a spokesperson for Schwarzenegger said: "If the gas company thinks finishing their work and leaving a trench in one lane of a two-lane road for six months that requires cars and bicyclists to drive in wrong way traffic - again, for six months - they should go back to school."

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Thought it was mainly freezing weather that caused em.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X