• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potholes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potholes

Least we didn't do this to Rod Stewart.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ing-in-pothole

An Italian pensioner has pledged to fight against the “injustice” of being fined almost €900 for fixing a pothole.
    Claudio Trenta was so frustrated by the local council’s failure to repair the 30cm pothole on a pedestrian crossing in Barlassina, a small town in Lombardy, that the 72-year-old decided to take action himself by filling it with cold bitumen.

This led to a fine of €882 (£767) – but has also triggered a debate about the potholes plaguing Italy’s roads.

In a post on Facebook, Trenta shared a photo of the letter he received from the police accusing him of violating the highway code. He was fined for carrying out a potentially dangerous job in a public space without permission or the competence to do so.

Trenta has been ordered to restore the hole to its original state. “If they think I’m an idiot, they are wrong,” he told Corriere della Sera. “They’ve provoked me, and so now I’m filing a countercomplaint against the council for negligence.”

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Surely potholes in Italy can't be as bad as here? Thought it was mainly freezing weather that caused em. Have to dodge them everywhere near me.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Surely potholes in Italy can't be as bad as here? Thought it was mainly freezing weather that caused em. Have to dodge them everywhere near me.
      The tarmac mix is different in different countries making the system fair for all road users across Europe (and beyond). So, I don't find the roads in Italy much better but actually much worse in some places.

Comment

I see that Cormac (the bunch who allegedly fill potholes in that Cornwall) have reclosed a road that was reopened when someone filled a gigantic pothole with concrete after it had been closed for weeks.

The Council bastards are now looking for finks to finger whoever had the temerity to do their job for them.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mystery-mo...141000830.html

Then again:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-poth...044200005.html

He'll be back.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Thought it was mainly freezing weather that caused em.
          Were there this many potholes say 15 or 20 years ago after freezing weather or is it a recent thing? i don't seem to remember this many in the past.

Comment

It was probably a service trench

https://news.sky.com/story/giant-pot...s-say-12856145

It was actually a "service trench" being used for "permitted work" by a gas company, SoCalGas, authorities in Los Angeles have said.

Responding to the authorities, Daniel Ketchell, a spokesperson for Schwarzenegger said: "If the gas company thinks finishing their work and leaving a trench in one lane of a two-lane road for six months that requires cars and bicyclists to drive in wrong way traffic - again, for six months - they should go back to school."
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Were there this many potholes say 15 or 20 years ago after freezing weather or is it a recent thing? i don't seem to remember this many in the past.
              no it wasn't as bad.

oh look they have data

https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/55fe...-potholes-data
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Never seen it this bad, there's literally sections of roads here (Surrey) which look like from a war torn country, pot holes big enough to eat your whole wheel. You can try to manoeuvre around them, but there's so many you will definitely hit something.

Absolute joke.

Comment

Yer right, I don't either. Worse I recall at the moment.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yer right, I don't either. Worse I recall at the moment.
                    I have never needed to dodge or drive around potholes in the UK until now. Some are f****** dangerous on the main roads in the UK.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X