• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Slaughterhouse-Five (1972). I can see why it gets a good rep, but it's not for me. I probably won't read the book either, given that Mr. Vonnnegut apparently thought the film was a good version of it

And later I rewatched Widows (2018) and I don't even have to look back to say that I'm sure I said last time that it's no way as good as the original late 1970s Euston Films TV series, and I never even watched that, other than maybe half an episode or so near the start. It's probably quite good in general terms, but when you know something is based on a Euston Films series, your expectations are high, and this seemed to meet the much lower expectations of Hollywood

Goodnight all

And may all such Gods as there may be bless and keep Millie as she crosses the rainbow bridge

Comment

Morning all

A very fitful night’s sleep.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^^^

^^^I've read Slaughterhouse Five. I have very vague recollections thereof. I don't think I've seen the film.

Morning.

Saturday.

Misty.

Moisty.

Grey.

White sky.

Damp.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.8 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

1002 mBar, 29.589 in Hg, 751.56 Torr, 14.532 psi, (up from 999 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 72% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 10th of May 2019 NF found it warmer out, though struggling to contact the Safety Camera Partnership re the speeding ticket he'd received for the nicked SMC during its sojourn with the scrotes. It only took 60 attempts to get through to said revenue generators.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S1 E7&8: 1968 Austin Mini: it's rattle can heaven. . Tax disc: 05/03. It's a rusty piece of crap. Correction: it's a ridiculously rusty piece of crap. New boot lid. Lots of welding. Repainted with two pack.

Stone me, they look young. Bought: £300, Total: £1100, Sold:1300 £. MOT ran out 2007. Currently SORN. What? It's not a baked bean can?

Rather ironically, the blue mini MB rejected lasted until 2016 before going SORN.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom. The rain began as I reached home again, jiggetty jig.

Lunch: baked potato with beans (forgot the cheese so the grater doesn't require washing), bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, red corner yog, 0.91*1.53 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Moneybox. The Now Show. <click>

Wheeler Dealers S17 E4: The Dormobile "Colin".

Freecell score in the intermittent deluge: 82%, running average 85%.

Tea: spag with meh bol, the last of the fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: a chapter of book.

Freecell score: 95%, running average 85% (85.149%).

Entertainment: please let there be some entertainment.

Four Just Men S1 E11 "Their man in London".

The last 20 minutes of "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade".

Conspiracies Decoded on Quest: Rudolf Hess's doppelganger: the missing wounds.

The 1959 Siberian student deaths.

The murder of Isidore Fink. A locked room mystery.

Jack the Ripper. Scarf kept by a plod from one of the murders: DNA test possible match to one of the suspects.

Secrets Underground: dinosaur footprints.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 March 2023, 23:06.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull wet, intermittent rain. Currently 10 degrees with a high of 13 expected. More rain off and on all day. Barometer up a bit to 1007 mBar.

Off to Woking soon to attend the internment of my late Grandmother's ashes alongside the remains of my even more late Grandfather, who died about 30 years ago. Due to rail strikes and TfL either striking or engineering, hard to tell which, the journey is more complicated than usual. I did consider driving but parking is limited at the muster point (my uncle's house).

HWMBO arrives early evening to stay until the end of the month, with a short break to go and blather on at people about TOGAF.

Comment

Post arrived earlier, including a card from the vet. In the card was a print they had taken from Millie’s paw.
            It’s a lovely memento.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Raining out

One indefatigable pigeon is, nonetheless, out and about on the lawn, enjoying the balmy 13°C which is today's high, and for all we know equipped with sensory apparati allowing it to detect the slight increase in air pressure over yesterday, to 993/1001mB

To save myself the trouble of going outside and standing around until I'm soaked through, I'm going to have a nice, relaxing Radox bath

And the veg in the lamb stock that was made overnight has been blended, the lamb diced and chucked in, and the assorted pulses mix also chucked in to the slow cooker, so the new batch of Scotch broth should be ready this evening - though I might just let it sit overnight to develop the flavour and go for a Chinese; haven't decided yet

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                And the veg in the lamb stock that was made overnight has been blended, the lamb diced and chucked in, and the assorted pulses mix also chucked in to the slow cooker, so the new batch of Scotch broth should be ready this evening - though I might just let it sit overnight to develop the flavour and go for a Chinese; haven't decided yet
                For now, a Greggs steak bake to tide me over

That's the last of them out of the freezer. I should go to Iceland for some more while I still have a resident's parking permit for that neck of the woods (which I ought to have returned to the council by now)

Comment

This programme about how animals move just used "vertebrae" as a singular noun when talking about giraffes, which was annoying enough; but then in the very next sentence they used "vertebra" as a plural, thereby tipping over into utterly enraging

Comment

Tea was from the same Chinese as last week, and very nice it was too

The fortune cookie informs me that my determination will bring me much success. They're always very upbeat, aren't they? You never get one saying "You'll trip over a loose paving slab and break your ankle"

Comment

After the generic animal programmes this afternoon, the orangutan jungle school was back again

And later, the usual Saturday evening crop of police shows, which currently include episodes of Road Wars that I haven't seen before - something I didn't think existed, as I must have seen most of them dozens of times. But the unseen ones are from the later series (serieses?) in the West Country, so maybe they've only just dropped out of the rotation on Sky

Then some reading: MI9 by Helen Fry, a history of the escape and evasion intelligence organisation in WWII.

Early night now so I can do stuff tomorrow.

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X