• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Two episodes of 24 Hours in A&E watched. Poor lad with the prolapsed bowel escaping through his stoma!
    Yes, that one was rather

The beef and Guinness stew turned out very well, with loads left over for the freezer

And, of course, it was accompanied by the rest of the bottle of Guinness Original that made such a vital contribution

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

At the Chinese?
      Bizarrely, although I have SC clearance, I still had to go through BPSS clearance (which is one level down from SC) because I'm working through a different consultancy. Once that was done, the powers that be were able to confirm that the SC had still been valid all along

There's another Chinese not far away that I've never been to as it didn't exist when I lived round here back in the 1980s. I'll have to give it a try, though it's more expensive than the nearer one; probably because it's over where the rich people live.

Comment

Dinner consumed, no members of the in laws dead.

TFBSZ
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car earlier was a Land Rover Series I, though they weren't sure if it was I or II at the start, which turned out to be because it had spent the first decade of its life working in top secrecy at Porton Down and hadn't been registered at the (now) DVLA until after it left there

And the gold diggers seemed to be doing OK, other than the ones who regard it as a failure if they don't make more in a week than many people make in a year, and were sad because they only found what many people make in nine months

And then I resumed S2 of The Handmaids Tale. A couple of episodes in this batch felt like filler; they knew they only had so much stuff to move the story forwards and realised it wouldn't last, so they padded it out with stuff about how bad women's lives are in Gilead; but we already know that, it didn't seem to show any worse aspects that we didn't know, and then they just tacked the bit that did move the story along on the end. But it got moving again after those, which is a shame as it then kept me watching until far too late

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
            Bread in the oven.

Comment

Morning all

Bright and dry but cloudy with bits of blue poking through. Currently 4 degrees ('feels like' 2) with a high of 8 expected. Unlikely to rain. Barometer down to 1029 mBar.

Not feeling all that enthused about doing work today. Here's hoping it's a quiet day.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Bread in the oven.
                Bread out of oven, and very tasty it is too.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  The car earlier was a Land Rover Series I, though they weren't sure if it was I or II at the start, which turned out to be because it had spent the first decade of its life working in top secrecy at Porton Down and hadn't been registered at the (now) DVLA until after it left there
                  Except that it left in 1964 before the DVLA existed so was registered with a local authority.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ew-of-dvla.pdf

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Cold in here at 10.7 deg, 10 deg in the kitchen, 7 deg in the leanto, 3 deg in the saltinghouse.

1032 mBar, 30.4749 in Hg, 774.064 Torr, 14.96789 psi, (up from 1029 last night), 65% RH (GDR hair), 55% (Lidl electric).

The recycling and waste disposal engineers made their merry way along the road earlier singing their merry waste disposal and recycling songs.

Discovered the cause of "The Funny Noise" the other day: one of the double glazed panes in the old front door surround had cracked, much like the window light did last year.

Looks like they'll all go that way, time expired or cheap jack crap, as may be.

Meanwhile on the 19th of April 2019 it was so unseasonably warm that WTFH took the dog for a walk whilst wearing a tshirt, whereas NF watched something called "Backtrace" which I apparently also possess somewhere, though this knowledge is currently news to me, whereas mudskipper was counting down on the telly.

Was rather irritated to be woken by a dream involving an enormous Ford Zodiac Mk IV in some sort of scrapyard covered in moss, especially around the rear number plate (which is a curiously precise sort of thing to dream about).

I blame Wheeler Dealers, though none of the actors from that appeared in said dream, happily enough, or I'd be really worried.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the sunshine. Not nearly as lethal on the paths as it has been recently.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly and marmalade on sliced on toast, red corner yog, 0.91*1.53 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Sliced Bread waffling on about E5 and E10 petrol: if the car needs it use E5, if it doesn't then use the cheaper more readily available E10.

Classic cars may not enjoy E10 petrol with the extra corrosive ethanol present therein.

The goat willow is now in a big heap on next door's lawn. The little electric chainsaw saw some use again. Frightening things, chainsaws, even little ones.

Stone me, I wish I'd dug the fecker up when it was little. .

Freecell score: 50%, running average 85%.

Tea: the last portion of the fiery chilli con carne with rice, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S17 E6: 2007 Porsche 911 with bore score. Bought: £15k, Total: £20,805, Sold: £26k. Looks like the number plate's been changed. Another car I wouldn't touch with the proverbial.

Fred Dibnah's Railway Collection: Preservation. Ooooo, a Deltic.

Joy of Painting: E10: the olde cabin in ye snow. I reckon it'll be 19:38 for snoring today. 1937 as it happened. Strewth I didn't see much of that, Whispering Bob had a remarkable effect.

Dr Pimplepopper. Part of the Secret Service thing on BBC4 about James 1 & VI, thing about the Hebridean trail on BBC Scotland.

Trucking Hell S6 E16.

The Movies on Sky Arts: 1960s part II.

How do they do it on Quest: this is a cracker: using PFAS to make clothing and poison the entire fecking planet whilst you're doing it.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 January 2023, 21:48.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Another grey day but not foggy this time, and apparently rain is also unlikely, though it looks rather damp out there so there may have been a shower earlier. Milder than it has been, though: currently 6°C and heading for 7°, and only expected to dip to 2° tonight. The barometers are still pretty high at 1020/1029mB

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Except that it left in 1964 before the DVLA existed so was registered with a local authority.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ew-of-dvla.pdf
                      Ah yes, that's how it worked wasn't it. That's why Leicester's mayoral Rolls Royce (assuming they still have it) bears (or bore) the number plate ABC1, "BC" having been one of the suffixes allocated to the city

Update: just checked and it looks like they sold it off, as it's now on a grey Toyota

ABC123 used to be on a car that was often parked by a posh apartment block just down the main road from here in the mid-1980s, but it seems to be no longer in use

Comment

Working...
                      X