• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More stuff moved

To wit: three big boxes of video discs, and a small box of books. While the big boxes aren't as crippling when filled with DVDs as with books, they're still pretty bad on the long journey downstairs and out the back to the car. But that's almost all of the discs done now

As for the books: it's clearly great to shift them in the big boxes that hold loads, but my ageing frame isn't so keen. At the other end, though, it's fine - I just get the sack truck from my storeroom, put them on that, and trundle it straight in to the lift, and my internal front door is literally a few feet from the lift after ascending. So what I'm planning to do is load up a small box, take it down, unpack it into a big box, and keep repeating until all three big boxes are full. That way my back and knees won't suffer so much from the long haul to the car at this end, but I get optimum throughput at the other end

It rained quite heavily while I was over there, which reminded me that we have a forecast of very cold weather and maybe even snow later in the week. So I finally figured out how to get the heating on, and I have to say, it took the slight chill off the rooms extremely rapidly. I then had to Google the manual for the thermostat to work out how to get it back on to its timed routine, and at some point I'll also have to work out how to set that to what I want. But at least the place should be safe from burst pipes for now, and it felt a lot nicer with a bit of warmth in there

Oh yes: lunch earlier was a home baked Greggs sausage roll

Comment

Just time for a quick trip back over there with the rest of the DVDs, along with a couple of smaller boxes with assorted hard drives and things in them. These will be the right size for ferrying books down to fill the big boxes at the car, so it made sense to get one of them emptied and I figured I might as well do both while I was about it

Though I'm also thinking I might end up getting some of the books over there, then once I'm down to the level where the ones left all fit in the boxes I have, I'll just add them to the man-and-van payload

Comment

Jobs done for dad. Also spent a lot of time tidying up his computer, there’s now a link on the desktop that is titled “Dad use this for email” so that he hopefully doesn’t end up installing the ASK search engine in google chrome and some other spamware in Internet explorer, all because he’d forgotten to click on Edge.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea: oniony chicken casserole with chips and peas

Accompanied by The Repair Shop

Comment

The car earlier was a Plymouth Barracuda, though TBH I didn't pay much attention; it was one of those where they do silly things to it

And the gold diggers did their digging.

Later, the gold diggers SOS thing was quite interesting as they were teaching a bunch of veterans who have the notion that teaching other veterans with PTSD how to find gold will help them, as well as raising money for their charity. Fair enough, and it meant we got to see a bit more of the basics of finding the stuff than these programmes usually bother showing

And as mentioned, The Repair Shop which included a unicycle, though sadly none of the usual crew were shown attempting to ride it

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
              Didn’t sleep well (again). Heading back home tomorrow from being home.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Cold in here at 10.8 deg, 11 deg in the kitchen, 8 deg in the leanto.

1023 mBar, 30.209 in Hg, 767.3131 Torr, 14.8373 psi, (up from 1022 last night), 71% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electronic).

Tuesday.

Whilst back on March 15th 2019 I had a brown envelope I still haven't dealt with, NF watched "V for Vendetta" of which I had the requisite two copies, whereas WTFH had a discussion with the client.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine. It was colder on the way home because the breeze was in my face.

Now that's what I call a Cold Shower. Brrrrr.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, a red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly blackcurrant jam and marmalade on three slices of toast (needed to be eaten), 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y pontificating on the demise of the high street.

These days Neath has difficulty in keeping all the charity emporia going, of which there are many.

The afternoon's entertainment has involved reverse engineering the zapper for the tv which is well on its way to wearing out. .

Could buy one of course, but where's the fun in that?

Next will come the hunt for the PIC assembler source for the previous zapper reverse engineering which will probably be more difficult to find than the codes are to decipher on the 'scope. Twas ever thus.

I think the long obsolete Sharp tv* zapper should do the business if I reflash the PIC.

*It met the recycling container back in 2019 or so IIRC, but the original zapper & my reverse engineered one still remain.

Then again, programming the Sky zapper for the tv might work but isn't so much fun.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S15 E17: the 2nd part of the 1964 Plymouth Barracuda drag race car. New heads, supercharger, nitrous injection, 2 speed gearbox, different axle, uprated brakes. Did 11.6 on the quarter mile. Now in a museum.

Futile attempt to make the assorted magick ready made zappers to work with the tv.

Maigret S4 E2 1963 "The Fontenay Murders".

The Rookie S2 E20: The Hunt. End of season: our hero gets fitted up & trussed up like a turkey. There's a S3 so no doubt with one bound he's free.

Phantom Signals: The Vela incident.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 December 2022, 22:02.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Got to give me elderly neighbour a lift to surgery this morning. Fortunately was going that way to arty farty thing anyway. Lot of me neighbours in much crappier condition than me for various reasons, age and alcohol.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day out again, not very warm at 3°C but possibly getting to a balmy 6° later. The barometers are only marginally changed at 1017/1026mB

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Jobs done for dad. Also spent a lot of time tidying up his computer, there’s now a link on the desktop that is titled “Dad use this for email” so that he hopefully doesn’t end up installing the ASK search engine in google chrome and some other spamware in Internet explorer, all because he’d forgotten to click on Edge.
                      Do you have a remote desktop thingy set up so you can help him from far away if necessary? I'm thinking of doing that for my dad; although he generally manages Firefox and Thunderbird quite well, he does pick up extensions of dubious intention from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X