• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Seems like a more-cloud-than-patch start out there, though all will be revealed once the sun gets over the buildings opposite. Not quite as chilly as yesterday at 8°C, with 16° planned for later, though there may be some rain in the late afternoon (40% chance). The barometers are cautiously making their way down again, at 1012/1020mB

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Meanwhile on 23rd January 2019 I was awaiting news of the VR bung, whilst NF was curl-ing HTTP responses & using a hex editor to view them.

I used to do stuff like that without the curl bit.
      I'm still using the hex editor, Hex Fiend, to view things, because it's extremely efficient at viewing and searching very large files. While searching for a property I wanted a quick and easy way to find out leasehold information, so I downloaded a 2.09GB CSV file containing details of every lease in England and Wales from the Land Registry, and opened it in Hex Fiend. It only takes a second or two to find places by text search for parts of the address, and helped me eliminate several from consideration when I discovered that they only had a comparatively short term left to run. I reckon it's easier, and less computing-resource-intensive, than trying to open it in Excel

Comment

Morning all
        CBS, etc.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy but bright and dry. Patches of blue visible. Currently 7 degrees with a high of 16 forecast. Low chance of rain. Barometer down to 1019 mBar.

It's another multi-coffee morning. I don't think it actually makes much difference to my performance; rather, some mornings I enjoy a couple of cups in quick succession and other mornings I don't. The long setting on my coffee machine makes about 120 ml of coffee so I'm not drinking buckets of the stuff.

Comment

Hexeditor alert^^^

Morning.

Was dry, the rain it raineth a few minutes ago.

Grey. very grey.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 15.4 deg, 16.5 in the kitchen, 13 deg in the leanto, 12.4 deg in the saltinghouse.

1016.5 mBar, 30.017 in Hg, 762.43 Torr, 14.743 psi, (down from 1020 last night), 75% RH.

Wednesday.

Meanwhile on 24th January 2019 NF was watching "Wind River (2017", it was cold out at 2 deg C, but the snow had melted a bit.

Even greyer now with that really wet fine drizzle so no walk today.

It's too miserable to bother potching in the garage though I did give it a try.

Freecell score: 100%, running average 85%.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons soya & linseed toasted crust, red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y, which just went <click>

A truly miserable afternoon's weather. .

Freecell score: 86%, running average 85%. Zoned out again.

After which, for the sake of something to do (), more component drawers got themselves labelled up. Or labelled down as the fancy took.

It's currently 15.7 deg in here and a little warmer upstairs. Seems strange to think it was 25 deg not so long ago.

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, some stewed pears (last of) and custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Just looked on jobserve. As if. Even more depressing than looking on Indeed or whatever the feck it's called.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S13 E12 197x Porsche 911++E: bought for $25k, added $6k of bits, some unnecessary, sold for $35,001. Why go to the trouble of changing the black for chrome and at that cost? Oh. My mistake. It was so MB could get his toolbox out. .

The Repair Shoppe: lamp shade, piano stool, toy bus, binoculars.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 October 2022, 18:05.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Greggs combo (steak bake + sausage roll, home baked) for lunch

No word of any further extension yet. I might actually finish on Friday at this rate

Comment

Afternoon

Gone grey out side.

Managed to do some work in between meetings.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The picture framer over the road is having something moved into his shop. Whatever it is, it's so big they've had to remove the glass from the entire shopfront, and it's taken eight or so people to lift it up from the pavement and move it just inside - and they looked like they were struggling

But I think most of his trade actually lies in producing promotional materials and the like, so it's probably a huge printer for churning out large banners.

Comment

Chicken casserole with chips and peas for tea

Comment

Ents has been: Only Connect, Inside Central Station and The Sky at Night.

There's a partial eclipse later this month. The north-east will get the best view.

Comment

Working...
                      X