• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely full moon tonight, with Jupiter fairly close by keeping it company, so I decided to rewatch Apollo 13 (1995). I bet Elon Musk could never manage all that

Early night now so I can try to get around to doing stuff tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cooler at 19.8 deg in here.

1012.5 mBar, 29.899 in Hg, 759.44 Torr, 14.685 psi, (down from 1014 last night), 73% RH.

Sunday.

Meanwhile back in 23rd December 2018, NF was recovered sufficiently to have completed his Xmas shopping, Xogg had failed to observe any meteors, and nothing much happened to me, other than not looking forward to Xmas & all that bollox.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom during which it picked with rain.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, red corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade slices of toast, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: thing on R4 about the John Denver song "Country roads". Quite affecting in parts.

Then Naughtie came on & the wireless immediately went <click>.

Freecell score in the grey of the afternoon: 100% (of 12), running average 85% (84.89%).

After much hunt, found a little bit of veroboard for inclusion in the electric field mill opto sensor arrangement.

Stone me, there's a lot of stuff in this house.

Entertainment: Goodness me "British Rails are long & fast": documentary about continuous welded steel rails on prestressed concrete sleepers from 1969 when there was a British Rail. It's a Gricer special.

Never knew that they fit 1200 foot lengths of rail then weld them together with thermite. Knew about the thermite part but never realised how long each chunk was between welds.

The 1200 foot lengths are made in a steel works using electric resistance welding: 7 Volts but 33kA (that's 33,000 Amps). It's spectacular.

The sleepers have an expected life of 50 years, so some of those in the film are probly still in use somewhere since I suspect that they're not changed as often since it was sold off.

Tea: Brains faggots with peas (garden rather than mushy), the last of the peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: the repeat of the Oak Island nutjobbery: it's as battulip crazy today as it was last Monday. They do not make cogwheels out of gold. thankfully the X ray fluorescence machine told them it's brass. . The case of a high end pocket watch might well be gold, the cogs inside, not so much.

The Sweeney S2 E9 "Stay Lucky Eh?"

The Sweeney S2 E10 "Trojan Bus": the Australians return" not on this dvd they don't.

The Sweeney S2 E13 "Thou shalt not kill": the bank robbery one on the "new brutalist university campus"*. Jack gets pissed off with Haskins. *It's Brunel. I had an interview there more than half a century ago.

The Sweeney S2 E11 "I want the man": Lonely turns up without Mr Callan.

Thing about Tides on BBC Alba, rather more inneresting than it sounds, highest tide range, Severn Bore, Chinese river bore, whirlpools. Part 1 of 3 but I can't find part 2 or 3 on the EPG.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 September 2022, 17:45.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy with sunny intervals today. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 24 forecast. Barometer up to 1017 mBar.

I think this afternoon will be mostly chores based. Bed to strip and linen to launder. Hoovering and dusting, and toilets to clean. Hurray.

If I remember I may pop out to Ealing Town Hall at 2pm and watch the proclamation of KCIII

Comment

Afternoon.

A bit of gardening today and a bit of tidying of the spare room in readiness of work tomorrow.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

First bed linen load in the WM

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey day out, currently 18°C and maybe going to get to 22°, while the barometers are up a touch more at 1010/1018mB

Comment

Sure animals of all types can comunicate. Nieghbour's cat miouwed at me outside my door, he meant "Can I come in and snore on your spare bed again?" Unfortunately going out soon so had to turn him down this time. Been feeding jam to wasps. Jam was running out and two waspies followed me down the garden and buzzed around close to my face. They were saying "More jam please"
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lunch has been the last sausage roll out of the freezer

I'm now actively running down stocks in the freezer, just in case I end up moving soon.

Comment

Meanwhile on the US Border Patrol programme, they're hassling an English guy because they suspect he's coming to the USA to ride in a horse race, i.e. work. The guy's about six foot four! Not exactly jockey material

Comment

Working...
                      X