• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch has been roast pork and apple sauce butties

I did wonder whether we're supposed to dye the crusts black or something, but even if we are, I'm far too busy with the work of His Majesty's Government to bother with such nonsense

Comment

The new landlord finally rocked up. Not keen; he seems very much like a landlord.

Straightforward enough though. He doesn't actually want to throw us out, but he wants to put the rent up, which I expected. He also said he didn't want to be unreasonable, and basically asked what I could afford. Naturally I didn't tell him

Instead, I pitched a figure which I knew he'd regard as way too low, because it's actually a fair price for the place in its current state. He wasn't keen on that and, after going on about the fact that rents in the area have been going up at a much faster rate than inflation, pitched a figure which is too high but (as he made clear in various agonised ways) nowhere near as much as he was hoping for. He reckons I'll be paying the lowest rent of any of his tenants, but hey, somebody has to occupy that slot and it might as well be me

So I won't be too sorry to move on after all. It's been a good eighteen years, but hey ho

Comment

Worked a bit late as they could do with having the thing I'm doing ready to go on Monday. It won't be, but I've got it to the point that the only thing left to do is a cosmetic thing, so if the designer can be placated, it can be pushed to prod and used by the people who want to do actual work with it

And after all that, I finally stop working and… the car thing is a clip show

Ah well, I can catch up with the news… oh wait, there isn't any

Comment

Tea: smoky BBQ rack of ribs with crispy fries

Accompanied by S6E1 of Trucking Hell

Lovely so-close-to-full-you-can't-tell-the-difference moon rising outside

Comment

Ents has been cocktails and tat on TV. The highlight being S6E2 of Trucking Hell where one of Crouch guys accurately judges that his Apple watch is worth more than the car he's recovering.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

So I won't be too sorry to move on after all. It's been a good eighteen years, but hey ho
              Ouch. I was traumatised due having to move after 5 years. 18 is a whole different level.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Ouch. I was traumatised due having to move after 5 years. 18 is a whole different level.
                Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

TBH the place I'm looking at on Monday is sufficiently awesome by comparison that I'd be delighted to move there. And the lesser place I looked at the other day would be a nice change too. I think I've made my peace with moving on from here now, as I assumed it would probably be the best option when I heard the place was to be sold, back around the end of June

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) which is currently Included With Prime™ but, it seems, only if you go about it the right way. I was looking forward to this one, but TBH it's not as good as it could have been; good for the most part, but not great. I think they missed an opportunity by not tightening up the script and overall story arc before going to production, so it's only around three and a half stars when, on the basis of the premise, it could have been a five

The Prime complication became apparent because last weekend, it was offered to me on the Apple TV Prime app as free, and I thus planned to watch it this weekend. Earlier today on the Prime Video section of the website it was still offered to me, but paid for. I was taken aback, because I thought it was unusual for something to be free for such a short period. Then this evening, it wasn't even suggested to me back on the Apple TV Prime app, so I searched for it - and got two results, one paid for, and one free. And having carefully checked things like run time and so on, the only difference between them is that the paid-for version is rated "15" or some such, and the free version is "No rating". So it's IWP, but you have to look for that unrated manifestation of it. I assume, given the underlying premise of the film, that it's something to do with it being free in some universes but not all, and we're at an intersection

And then a rewatch of Constantine (2005) because

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Dark. Mostly because it was sparrow fart.

Sky looks clear.

Sunless. Mostly because it's not risen.

Irritated. Muchly.

Cool in here at 20 deg.

1010 mBar, 29.82528 in Hg, 757.56 Torr, 14.6488 psi, (up from 1008 last night), 73% RH.

Saturday.

Bed stripped.

Shirts in the WM.

And one of the smoke detectors is doing the low battery beep thing just to irritate the tulip right out of me.

Meanwhile back in the happier days of 22nd December 2018 NF was still , Xogg had found something odd on streetview, and I'd taken a defunct vac & assorted tulipe from next door down the dump. It still amazes me that I fecking sold that house to the useless idle ****.

Shirts out of the WM and hanging on the line amidst the mists & mellow fruitfulness. They'll take forever to dry.

Cottons in the WM.
                  The low battery beep was eventually traced to an ancient CO detector buried in a box in the office, no user servicable parts but a big screwdriver prised the fecker open & the battery was duly extracted and placed with the other crap batteries.

During which it was discovered that the crap Chinese AA cell in a stopwatch had done the usual crap Chinese AA Cell thing of leaking KOH all over the inside of the stopwatch which is now probably defunct despite valiant attempts to wash the tulipe out & off the pcb.

Majorly pissed off with the world now. .

Cottons out of the WM & hanging on the line.

Smalls int the WM.

Amazingly enough the stopwatch seems to have survived its leaking Chinese POS AA Cell leakage.

I wonder if the new technician in Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde checks on the cells in the stores.

Smalls out of the WM and hanging on the lower line.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the warmish sunshine, with ominous black clouds overhead.

Shirts roughly (very roughly) iRoned & airing upstairs.

Towels airing over the banisters.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a red corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Wheeler Dealers S9 E15 Mercedes SLK: bought for £2k, £900 for 2nd hand bits & pieces, sold for £3800 £3650.

Wheeler Dealers S2 E3 Peugeot 205 GTI: H reg, bought for a grand. Stone me, they look young.

Wheeler Dealers S8 E4 Frogeye sprite: not known on MOT site. Forgot to note the reg above.

Freecell score: 92%, running average 85%.

Tea: spag with fiery bol, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: The Sweeney S2 E7 "Golden Fleece": the one with Philip Madoc as a nasty A10 super, and the two Australian shotgun robbers.

The Sweeney S2 E8 "Poppy": the one with John Rhys-Davies and Frank Middlemass before he became Dan Archer. The wrapping on that money was good if it kept it dry for 3 years.

The A team S3 E21 "Wast 'em". The dumping of industrial waste down abandoned sewers in LA. Probably to keep the number of vampires in check.

The Repair Shoppe: Triumphator Mechanical Calculator. I remember using something similar for Stats during A level Maths half an eon ago.

The A team S1 E5 "Black day at Bad Rock": the motorcycle gang one. Amusing enough. And the conclusion of the 9 ep collection.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 September 2022, 07:44.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Partly cloudy, signs of blue in between the fluff. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 21 expected. Low chance of rain. Barometer up to 1013 mBar.

Off to visit the parentals today as there's many family members due to turn up and my Mum will never remember all the various tea / coffee combinations.

Comment

Working...
                      X