• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      And whilst consuming that I watched a documentary about the CIA's search for Osama Bin Laden.
      I'm impressed you managed to watch it all. I don't think I was in the mood for it. Especially after the stewed gooseberries.

Morning.

Damp.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Cooler at 20 deg in here.

1001 mBar, 29.5595 in Hg, 750.811 Torr, 14.518 psi (up from 998 last night which was in turn up from 997 earlier in the day), 72% RH.

Saturday.

I see that Bunter, the fat owl of the remove, is on the Today prog spouting his usual lies.

On the other hand, "Dead Ringers" might have been on earlier than usual. .

Wak (different route sans horseflies) walked.

It rained on me with associated thunder & lightning, very very frightening. Bismillah!

Swan count: back lane: swan (presumably the male) with 4 cygnets taking their ease a bit further up, first pond: 0, fish pond: 2.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, bramble jelly sandwich, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

"Entertainment": Money box, Dead ringers, though I paid more attention to the former rather than the latter.

Freecell score: 91% (IIRC), running average 85%.

Spent some of the afternoon in the garage seeing what's in those boxes of magazines & found some to throw away, labelled up the remainder so at least I know WTF is in there.

Found some other boxes with some ancient CRTs (oscilloscope tubes type crts) that have variously graced the loft etc. for knocking on for half a century.

IIRC there's a couple of ACR13s, a VCR97 with mumetal screen, and a dual beam tube out of a Hartley 13A scope.

The magazines included several Personal Computer World issues, which are extremely thick, extremely heavy, and going to meet the recycling next Thursday.

There's also a "brand new" open frame green screen monitor that I bought from Greenweld back in the mists of time about 1990.

Totally useless. Much like the selection of EGA an MDA monitors that live down there with it.

Tea: spag with fiery bol (final portion), some stewed gooseberries with custard (more sugar this time so somewhat less sharp), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Ancient Aliens bollox, prog about the SR71 on Quest (didn't do the speed check thing ), some other bollox about Anthony Blunt & the royals, "Does the KGB have files on the royals" etc.

Freecell score: 86%, running average 85% (84.689%).

Nothing worth watching on the box again, I think I'll read a book.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 June 2022, 21:44.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I see Zeity is branching out…

https://extractcoffee.co.uk/shop/dr-strangelove/
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Had a great night's sleep, having decided to set no alarms. I first woke up around eight, I think, but then woke up more properly about twenty past nine and felt really refreshed - and not particularly ill either

Today's temperature is 37.2°C, which is within normal parameters. I might chance an LFT later

Meanwhile, in the external universe revealed to me by my phone (derivation of external reality via sensory perceptions is so passé), there's a lot of patchy cloud so the illumination level is constantly varying - sunny spells might be a way to describe it. Apparently there's a 40% chance of a bit of drizzle soon, but other than that it should remain much the same. Currently 17°C with an expected high of 19°, and the barometers are back up a little at 998/1006mB

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I'm impressed you managed to watch it all. I don't think I was in the mood for it. Especially after the stewed gooseberries.
            Well, it was more letting it rumble away on the screen in front of me and tuning in and out mentally as and when it seemed more or less interesting

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy and sunny. Enthusiastic breeze. Currently 18 degrees with a high of 19 expected. Barometer up a bit to 1009 mBar.

Last night was date night so HWMBO and I went out for cocktails followed by Polish food.

Today, HWMBO heads home and I am off out to meet a friend for lunch.

Comment

LFT: still positive!

At least it took a little while to show this time, rather than lighting up bright red before the sample had even reached the control line the way it has been

And I've also got toothache

Comment

Meanwhile, the bed has been completely stripped and left to air

Comment

Asbestos blokes done reasonable job but some typical British worker side effects, coke cans in garage and loads of fag ends on the pavement outside my drive.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lunch: sausages in finger rolls, and very nice they were

My website has been down for ages after a WordPress automatic update broke. So last night and today, I've figured out how to get Apache with PHP running in a Docker container and MySQL in another, and managed to get it working enough to access the WP admin and just upgrade the thing to the latest version. Then I overwrote the WP install on the server with the local files, and was able to get into the admin on there and do the final DB update steps and what have you, and it's finally running again

Next step: find out which is the best WP static site generator. If I can run the entire WordPress aspect of the site locally in a couple of Docker instances, there's no need to be presenting an attack surface to the world. I haven't allowed comments for years anyway, and there's no other features I use that would require a functioning backend. So I might as well just serve plain HTML files: it's faster, cheaper, and more secure.

Comment

Working...
                      X