• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Work is also slightly distracted while I watch to see my brother-in-law finishing the Caribbean 600. After almost 4 days of racing I'm sure he'll be glad of a wash, change of clothes and some sleep)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Up betimes, and out the back (then to the side road) to retrieve the miraculously-emptied bin

And once that had been trundled back in: walk briskly walked, green ring closed

It's a clear blue sky out, a bit chilly with it, but already warming up: about 3°C when I got up, 6° now, and 9° expected by early afternoon. Wind isn't very windy compared to recent days. Barometers are fairly sharply up at 1016/1023mB

Next up: coffee, followed by shopping

Comment

Shopping done!

Just Sainsbury's today. Still a good number of people wearing masks, I was pleased to see.

And while putting stuff away I realised that the gammon joint I'd thought had an expiry date some time in the next few days actually expired two days ago. I'm sure it'll be fine, but it means my plans for tonight's dinner have been upended - unless I just roast it now and don't actually make a meal of it

But although a good amount is intended to be repurposed into ham, pea and lentil soup, it's always nice to have freshly roasted gammon; as T. S. Eliot said in The Waste Land:

Originally posted by T. S. Eliot
        Well, that Sunday Albert was home, they had a hot gammon,
        And they asked me in to dinner, to get the beauty of it hot—

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          And while putting stuff away I realised that the gammon joint I'd thought had an expiry date some time in the next few days actually expired two days ago.
          Just to be clear, this wasn't an out-of-date gammon joint I bought from Sainsbury's today; it was already in the fridge

Comment

Lunch: sardine toasties, being the ones that come in olive oil. Very tasty

Comment

Just booked the Corolla in for its MOT. They asked me to bring it in on Monday at 12:30. Shame, as dropping it off first thing in the morning allows me to pop into Greggs for a breakfast baguette on the way back

Comment

Today's other exciting news is that a plan which has been years, even decades, in the making has finally come to fruition: I bought a sugar bowl

Comment

The mundane laundry that I forgot to put on has been put on

Comment

The gammon joint seems none the worse for being a couple of days past its use by date, so tea has been roast gammon, chips, fried eggs and beans

If it is in fact a deadly health hazard, I suppose I'll find out before too long

Comment

That time already? Good job I'm going to bed then

In the interim, the night's first major motion picture premiere has been Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016) which I thought was pretty good; and overall I'd say this film series was much better than I expected it to be

Then a further motion picture premiere, being The Terminal (2004) and it's pretty mediocre. Probably worse than pretty mediocre, actually. Spielberg needs to grow up and stop stuffing random things that he liked in films he saw as a kid into films he makes for grown-ups

But some of it was good; I think I'd give it about 80% good v. 20% FFS Spielberg, get a grip

Anyway, I then rewatched Margin Call just to spite him, because it's a better film than most he's made

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X