• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    3o out, no wind, and the pre-sunrise sky made me want to stay out longer and not start work.
    Saying that, most things would make me not want to do any work, but our lifestyle won't pay for itself (yet)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Colder in here at 13.1 deg.

1002 mBar, 29.6 in Hg, 751.6 Torr, 60% RH.

Thursday.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the intermittent wan sunshine.

Warmer than yesterday due to the lack of wind.

Lunch: Heinz leek & potato soup with Morrisons multiseed bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Oz border thing: S3 E1 & 2: dreadlocked chap kicking up a fuss, Chinese "food" par excellence: particularaly nauseating with bits of snake, beetles, and what looked like a dried flatworm, along with shedloads of nuts & leaves & suchlike.

Looks like the dreadlocked one is a drug smuggler. Kilo of coke: 7.5 years in clink.

Civet cat coffee beans.

Pissing down now.

NZ customs thing: the usual tons of Contac NT, the orange leaf smuggler (strip searched).

Still pissing down & pressure is down to 997 mBar now (13:45).

The last of the resistors sorted. I have no idea whatever quite why there are so many 91k 2% resistors in that box. Not a value I've used very often, which might explain it.

Trip to Glynneath for the pfizzer done & dusted. Odd sort of place, not on streetview at all. Chap from Cimla was there at the same time.

Mucky old night out there: wet, dark, dank, dreary, dreadful.

Barometer now down to 993 mBar (16:45).

Tea: the initial sample of chilli con carne with rice, the last of the fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Joan Crawford.

Joy of Painting.

Quantum Leap S3 E4 "One strobe over the line": the photographer one.

Discovering Samuel L. "Mother****er" Jackson: no "mother****ers" were uttered in this bowdlerised epic.

NCIS LA S10 E12 "The sound of silence".

Trucking Hell S5 E2.

Thing about Stonehenge on 5 rather than the Doomsday on camera thing which is irritating.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 December 2021, 22:26.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Early(ish) start never happened, as sleeping me apparently decided it didn't want to wake up and efficiently swatted away all alarms until it was sated. But I feel thoroughly refreshed by all the extra snoozing, so that's fine by waking me

Clear blue sky and 6°C out; no better than 7° expected, presumably because of the sky, and rain expected tonight. Barometers are bouncing back at 993/1000mB

Comment

Lunch is the rest of the soup I started yesterday.

Felt like an hour of my life had been wasted by being dragged into a Microsoft support call because their search facility for SharePoint doesn't work properly despite them saying the index crawling has been completed. I was needed to prove that search doesn't work even for non-Admin accounts and thus another line on the idiot list was ticked off.

Apparently if you do bulk imports via their own API indexing is bumped down to priority 4 in the backend (and can't be re-prioritised by someone with god rights over the tenant) and it can take weeks to properly do even if the crawl log says otherwise. As we have live human studies ongoing and getting access to study documentation is paramount, we've built our own search facility in SSRS that returns accurate results with a handy link so the support team can work. We were tempted to sell it back to them as an improvement on their own offering...

Comment

Lunch: chicken, tomato and lentil soup (zingy) with bread (wholemeal)

Mainly because I needed to make room in the freezer for all the Scotch broth

And I have no multiseed bread left. I was going to go to Sainsbury's this morning, but didn't due to sleeping instead as noted above. And I can't go this afternoon because I'm waiting on DPD to deliver a parcel that is supposedly too big to fit in an Amazon Locker

He's currently on delivery 53 about two miles down the road, and I'm 99. So now, we wait

I'm always vaguely unsettled by numbers like 99 in such contexts, because there's always the vague feeling that it could arise because of a bug, or because some data entry person couldn't find the correct number and just typed that in, maybe planning to sort it out later but then forgot. If it had been 98 or 101 I'd be OK with it

Comment

Mushroom soup for lunch, in between not killing people.
              e.g. call at 10:00
              Him: I need a full list of the customisations today
              (first time he's asked for it)
              Me: I'll send it through in the next 5 mins
              (I email the file 2 mins later while he is still telling everyone how important this information is and how he needs to have it today and how I am delaying his part of the project.)

13:45, Teams pings me that he is calling...
              Him: Can you see my screen?
              (His screen now has big red text saying I promised the file today but still haven't sent it)
              Him: Where is the information you promised to send today?
              Me: Did you read the file I sent you earlier?
              Him: No, I've not had time to check my emails.
              Me: Open the email, scroll to the end of the document, it's all there. The previous pages explain it.
              Him: I just need the information.
              Me: OK, open it and go to the last 2 pages.
              (He opens it and proceeds to scroll down very slowly, skim reading each page)
              Him: Where is it?
              Me: Go to the last 2 pages
              (He continues to scroll slowly through)
              Him: So these three sections marked Object List, Version List and Table List... are they the list of objects, versions and tables?
              Me: Yes. I've also highlighted which are standard and which are custom.
              Him: For my list of customisations, if I just copy and paste the custom objects from these three lists, will that do?
              Me: Yes
              (He then copies the lists - including standard ones - into his document)
              Him: Is that OK?
              Me: No, you need to remove the standard ones.
              Him: How do I know which ones are standard
              Me: They are the ones that say "standard" beside them.
              Him: OK...
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

DPD due in about forty-five minutes, allegedly

Comment

"Our driver is running a little behind and should be with you shortly" - your driver has spent the past thirty minutes sat at the far end of a road about four streets away. Fair enough, he's entitled to a break, but maybe factor that into your initial time estimates?

Comment

According to this map, Harry the DPD Driver has been sat at the far end of that road for over an hour now. I'm beginning to wonder if they're being entirely honest with me, and if their technology is wholly reliable

Oh, and as I type that, here's a message saying "Sorry we missed you" with a photograph attached which is completely black. Useless gits

Comment

Oh, and as I type that, here's a message saying "Sorry we missed you" with a photograph attached which is completely black. Useless gits
                      Been teetotal for some years apart from an occasional small glass of wine or half a lager when out with somebody. Came back from my toothpaste inspection earlier to find a parcel behind the planter in my front garden. Big bottle of Limoncello from my son for my birthday. Just had three little glasses of it.

Aaagh! Drunk! Smelly knickers to you all!
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X