• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    In the Chinese
    And very nice it was

Comment

Just won the church quiz by a single point.

queue everyone claiming their answer was the one that pulled us ahead of the team in second place.

-wrspnally the point that Celsius and Fahrenheit are identical (-40) was the winning answer
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just been reading a Wireless World from 1972: advert for the HP35 calculator at a mere £200.

Adjusted for inflation that make it £2698.72 in today's worthless plastic currency.

No wonder Sinclair's offerings were so popular over here.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2021, 08:16.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight was a superheroine double bill: Wonder Woman (2017) and Wonder Woman 1984 (2020). The first of these is, as we know from multiple previous viewings, excellent. The second… not excellent. Not full-on bad; but not very good

The first was a cracking story of a heroine's quest, with some acceptable humorous bits dotted here and there; for light relief, one might say. The second does, eventually, get around to a quest. But it shovels a load of stuff that's presumably supposed to be humorous in near the start, and none of it is actually that humorous, nor is it particularly entertaining at all. And there's a bunch of "Look, don't things that were fashionable in 1984 seem silly nowadays" scenes, none of which moves the story along one iota. They do finally get things moving a bit, but a) it's too late and b) it never really comes together as a coherent storyline somehow; bit of a mishmash really

And as ladymuck pointed out when she saw it: plot holes. Lots of them. Minor spoiler alert: those kinds of planes don't have seats side-by-side, and they couldn't make a journey that long without multiple mid-air refuellings. And that's probably the least of the problems with the story

Apparently the director asserted recently that the reason it garnered poor returns was the pandemic, and people would have loved it if more of them had seen it in a cinema rather than via a streaming service. I hope she manages to come to terms with the fact that none of that is true, and she just made a film that isn't very good. Then she can learn from her mistakes and make the next one better. As good as the first one would be plenty good enough. (But as anybody who's tried to create something new knows, it's hard to judge whether what you've made is any good, and difficult to face up to the fact that the response of the punters suggests that it isn't.)

And then the last two episodes of S5 of The Americans: S5E12 The World Council of Churches (TV Episode 2017) and The Soviet Division (TV Episode 2017)

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky with pinky white fluffy clouds, positively Simpsonsesque.

Colder at 17.6 deg in here.

1028 mBar, 30.35 in Hg, 771 Torr, 73% RH <difficult to read coz the pointer is in the way.

Sunday.

Shopping trip to Tesco & Morrisons done,dusted, washed, dried, sanitised & put away.

I'm getting used to the taste of domestos on apples.

Lunch: roast chicken & a surfeit of sausages caused by inattention when extracting the packet from the freezer, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Not as tasty as last week's efforts: mediocre sausages.

Pleased to see that EE have kindly put one of my bat phones into hibernation thereby nicking £20 of credit.

Mother****ers.

Lovely day here, all sunny & warm.

No good shall come of this.

Entertainment: ST Voyager S5 E2 "Drone" I have no recollection of this whatsoever, but then again, much of Voyager is forgettable.

Other than SevenOfNine of course.

Still can't remember this one.

As a giant plus it doesn't feature Kes or the fecking Kazon.

Walk walked (unabbreviated) in the senseless unbearable heat of the afternoon.

Tea: Heinz tomato soup (BBE 07/2021) with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread (one slightly blueish), bramble jelly on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Dylan Thomas: from Grave to Cradle on BBC4, an Arena programme.

Well that explains it, it was first shown in 2003. The 50th anniversary of his death.

Am Dro. Llanidloes, Bethesda, Merthyr Mawr, Kidwelly.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2021, 18:48.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull and cloudy but dry. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 17 later. The sun may make an appearance. Barometer steady at 1028 mBar.

Taking HWMBO to St Neots this afternoon. I have enough petrol to get there and back but I'll feel happier if I do manage to get a top up on the way.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                Joh Wesley Hyatt receives the US patent for the first billiard ball 1865

Comment

I need to do a towels wash this morning.

Comment

Despite having only had one full day here, HMWBO has managed to leave me with a fridge full of left overs that will keep me fed until he returns on Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

He used one of the (two) orange habanero chillies I managed to grow in a vegetable curry dish. It was hot! I'm quite happy about that, here's hoping I can overwinter the plant and get more out of it next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X