• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Source of Truth video has been watched, and it was excellent. It was a Teams recording of a workshop presentation from earlier in the year, including a live coding demo from start to end, and it's answered almost every question I had

It's a bit annoying, though, to realise that if somebody had sent me this two weeks ago, I'd have been finished by now

Anyway, among the revelations was that the thing that does the data ingestion and the thing that does the warehousing can both be run locally with Docker, which means I can now follow my usual practice for understanding how stuff works: hook up a debugger and step through the interesting bits

As for the doc: I might just chuck the video at one of those things that generates automatic transcriptions, do a global search-and-replace to get rid of the ums and ers, then tidy up the text and stick a few bullet points in. "The deputy likes dots"

Comment

I do believe it's clocking off time.

Happy Friday peeps!

Comment

The forecast rain never materialised. In fact, the cloud cover lifted and it's turned into a rather nice bright and sunny afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          The forecast rain never materialised. In fact, the cloud cover lifted and it's turned into a rather nice bright and sunny afternoon.
          The forecast rain round here has never stopped.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And another three months' billing secured.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              And another three months' billing secured.

Boomed!

Comment

The delivery manager who sent me the magic video isn't strictly speaking on our team, but she's shadowing our delivery manager from time to time as she's probably going to take over and ours is probably moving to another team. Anyway, I thanked her and told her how useful it had been, and she was really pleased, so that's brightened up her weekend

And despite not being on the team she's the one from the consultancy who approves my timesheets, so it does no harm to keep her happy

While watching the video on my big telly, it occurred to me that something looked a little off about the text on the slides. Then, by chance, I realised that if I slid my glasses down my nose five or ten millimetres, it sharpened up considerably. So it was off to Google Street View, to find the optical lab down the road and get their phone number off the sign over the door, then give them a call; and so I'm booked in for an eye test (a year overdue I think, on the every-two-years principle) on Monday afternoon

Comment

Tea has been chicken casserole. For some reason this one turned out even better than usual, with a delicious, rich flavour

The wind is getting up a bit outside, though officially there won't be rain until near dawn. But I've found the forecasts struggling to cope with the changeable conditions lately, so who knows.

Anyway, I have no need to venture out there now, so beer and a film it is

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep - there is zero money in writing. The only reason I do it is because I've got the process down to a very fine plan of screenshot, add to document move to next stage. In reality I could simplify it even further and probably will be writing a script to take a set of screenshots and add them sequentially to a word document to which I can then just add the text round the edges.

Edit to add - I suspect it wouldn't be quicker doing the latter approach but may be less obvious if that was a requirement.
                    Just talking about migrating one system to 4 new ones (hmmmm) doing the data migration and suggested the BAs should take a screen shot of existing screens and new ones annotated with the original data so the users can see what is happening. Apparently that is too much work for the BAs. feck knows what they do we have an internally developed tool that we are replacing with a COTS that will be supplying their to be (which of course they haven't defined that yet).

Now am I being stupid should a picture be a thousand words or do we just accept the biz don't know what they are doing?

Think its time to find a new employer who knows what they are doing. If I can find one!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Think its time to find a new employer who knows what they are doing. If I can find one!
                      An employer who doesn't know what they're doing can generate a lot more invoices for a contractor who knows what they are and what they should, if the contractor plays their cards right

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Rambo III (1982) which is, as the title implies, the third of them. It's OK as an action movie, but that's all it is. The first had some literary merit, but the subsequent ones are just the same character slotted into violent situations.

But at least it paid proper tribute to… *checks notes* the noble Muslim warriors and beloved allies of the USA, the Afghan Mujahideen!

*checks updated notes*

OMG… awks

And then I rewatched The Intern because it's been quite a stressful week as it goes, and I know I only watched it about four or five weeks ago but it makes me happy so I did

Finally, S4E11 of The Americans: Dinner for Seven (TV Episode 2016), notable for having a kickass ending without having to go to all the trouble of Rambo III

Comment

Working...
                      X