• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead BA at clientCo (a permie) tried to rip my lovely SharePoint form to shreds. Said that all the 'fancy dynamic parts' were confusing. I took it all off and asked her to tell me how that helped the flow (certain questions are shown/hidden depending on the responses given) and she had to concede that the form didn't make sense if you showed all the questions so I should make it dynamic again.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Lead BA at clientCo (a permie) tried to rip my lovely SharePoint form to shreds. Said that all the 'fancy dynamic parts' were confusing. I took it all off and asked her to tell me how that helped the flow (certain questions are shown/hidden depending on the responses given) and she had to concede that the form didn't make sense if you showed all the questions so I should make it dynamic again.

GDS recommends splitting complex forms over several pages, as you'll have seen on gov.uk sites. This means it's easy to skip or add stuff depending on earlier responses. Then at the end there's a "Check your answers" page, allowing you to either go back to a specific page and change just that bit, or submit the finished result.

On this project I got the job of doing a form that was either three or four pages, depending… but somebody decided that rather than flowing from start to end (meaning you always knew your current state and could easily determine where to go next, and also be sure you had everything when they got to the "Check your answers" page) there should be a set of links at the top allowing them to skip back and forth any way they wanted. The amount of complexity this introduced easily tripled the time taken to implement the damn thing

Comment

My absolute favourite was some handcrafted 6303 assembler:

Originally posted by boss
        Oh, good.

Now implement it speeding up if you keep the button pressed.
        Which royally fecked the carefully handcrafted assembler sideways.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Chicken and barley soup with wholemeal bread for lunch

Still pretty cloudy here but the rain doesn't seem to have manifested yet

Comment

Lunch was a cheese, ham and tomato toasty.

It came over dark earlier but never rained. There's still rain on the forecast, it's just shifted about a bit.

Comment

Nice sunny afternoon out now

I've had a reasonably productive day and the other two devs both seem to have vanished, so I think I'll knock off as soon as the GitHub Actions tests have passed on this PR and I can move it out of draft

Comment

Headed out the back way to go for my walk, only to find four junkies settled down, all nice and cosy, in the little corridor down the side of the stable to the back yard gate. They'd even moved one of the bins, apparently so it blocked the view from the direction of the house, to give themselves a little privacy

I frostily asked them if I could help them. Apparently not, but they started making some effort to shift themselves, so I carried on with a bunch of stuff about private property and so on and, with dirty looks from a couple of them and a more shamefaced act from what seemed to be the leader, they shambled off with a few vague apologies

I wish the council would see about fixing the locks on the main gates even if it does mean the cars get locked in for a few days

Comment

Walk finally and fairly briskly walked, green and red rings closed

Very nice evening out there now, sunny with just the smallest wisps of white fluffiness hither and yon, 15°C

Comment

dinner is smoked haddock and king prawns in a herby garlic sauce on penne pasta.
                    and a nice <white> Rioja
                    ents will be mr robot. - i'm finding it hard at times, but somehow it keeps me coming back.
                    a bit like CUK, i suppose, S2E10 now.

might have some work coming too.
                    don't need it, but it'll keep me out of wetherspoons, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      ents will be mr robot. - i'm finding it hard at times, but somehow it keeps me coming back.
                      I'm like that with it - I think I was two or three into S3 last time I watched it, and vaguely think of picking up on it again from time to time.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      might have some work coming too.
                      don't need it, but it'll keep me out of wetherspoons, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X