• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing Germany don't want to host next year. That's the only reason I can think of for that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      "Get an early night" I told myself. "You'll feel better for it" I told myself.

So anyway, tonight's major motion picture premiere was Demolition Man (1993). I started out assuming this would be some kind of straight-up sci-fi thing, and therefore got mildly annoyed by what seemed like clumsy tropes, but it finally dawned on me that it's supposed to be funny and is parodying that stuff. Once I'd grasped that I started enjoying it a lot more. It's excellent IMHO, but take my tip and realise that sooner

And then I decided to rewatch the excellent augmented reality thriller Anon (2018). It nicks a lot of its initial premises from the underlying premises of at least a few Black Mirror plots, but it's none the worse for that. I think it's very good

So time for bed The Shield, to wit, S3E10 What Power Is... (TV Episode 2004) and S3E11 Strays (TV Episode 2004), in which even the characters are starting to wonder why everything is so terrible, though it never occurs to them that maybe they themselves are the problem; and that's on multiple nested levels, like a matryoshka, so I doubt they'll ever get things sorted out. But that's what we watch it for

Goodnight all
      He doesn't know what to do with the three shells!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Very nice as always

Busyness status: "Earlier"
        nice!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I'm guessing Germany don't want to host next year. That's the only reason I can think of for that performance.
          "Mein Schönes Pferd" ?

Comment

I decided I ought to take a break from the usual diet of sci-fi and mayhem so tonight's major motion picture premiere was Black Swan (2010), which sounds like it ought to be about an unexpected occurrence that has a drastic effect on global financial markets (which, as it happens, is the underlying theme of the thing I'm working on for ClientGov at the moment) but is actually about ballet. I'm not really au fait with ballet, but I made it through the film and although it lost me from time to time, I liked the ending. As one of the characters says about ballet itself, it's not for everybody, and I'm not sure this film was for me; but it's a good film nonetheless

And then, for reasons, I rewatched Catch Me If You Can (2002) which is good fun

So onwards to the inevitable The Shield: S3E12 Riceburner (TV Episode 2004) and S3E13 Fire in the Hole (TV Episode 2004). It's impressive the way that whenever it seems like things might be turning out well (comparatively speaking) they get turned into a massive crock of tulip in no time at all. One of the all-time great shows, and it's good to know it's only going to get worse from here, every time; in that rather recondite way, it provides a kind of certainty

A surprising amount of traffic outside right now. I suppose this disease isn't going to spread itself

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Damp.

Dreary.

Grey.

Rapidly darkening grey sky.

Cooler at 17.9 deg in here.

1005 mBar, 29.677 in Hg, (down from 1009 mBar, 29.795 in Hg yesterday evening) and 58% RH.

Sunday.

<hiatus>

Sunday shopping trip to Tesco and Morrisons done, dusted, washed, dried, sanitised, and put away.

I forgot the eggs.

Terrible hard said Alice as she bricked the shop window.

Lunch: roast chicken breast (pieces, Morrisons, probably reduced) plus sausages (but sans bacon since I forgot to defrost some), a couple of mango slices, two yogs, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Nice enough, though the lack of bacon was disappointing (there wasn't any reduced in Morrisons).

The beef mince (Morrisons, reduced) for the next batch of bol and chilli is in the freezer awaiting the end of the lamb mince versions.

<hiatus>

Forgot the roasties and the onion, only discovered when I was doing the dishes.

Ho hum.

Thought there was sommat missing.

The rain has set in, and is dialled in until Wednesday according to the prognosticating engine.

<hiatus>

The rain seemed to subside a little and a walk was contemplated.

Fortunately I didn't bother since the subsequent rain, hail, & murrain of beasts was so torrential as to block the signal on the sat receiver (the HD one which isn't as sensitive as the SD one, which, as ever, was unaffected by all this).

I bet there's rivers running in the gutters of the road.

Tea: a Ginsters vegan Moroccan pasty and a Ginsters vegan quorn pasty (both Morrisons, reduced), a yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea, oh, and a bramble jelly sandwich.

Entertainment: "Ride Along (2014)" with Ice Cube & Kevin Hart, plus Laurence Fishburne along for the ride, like.

"Ride Along 2 (2016)" with Ice Cube & Kevin Hart.

Amusing enough in their way and rather better than I'd expected.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 May 2021, 22:11.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

He doesn't know what to do with the three shells!
                And it's never explained either! Probably buried in the DVD extras perhaps.

Comment

Morning all

Bright of a sorts but it's overcast and has just started raining. It's 13 degrees ('feels like' 11) and that's as good as it'll get. Rain expected off and on throughout the day, with a bit of a break mid afternoon perhaps. Barometer up to 1010 mBar.

Woke up with a headache. I'm booked in to see the Yayoi Kusama exhbition at the Tate at 1245 but I am full of can't be bothered-itis so it's very likely I won't go. Motivation is definitely lacking today.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  Hamburg announces they will become the first German city to ban diesel cars on some roads 2018

Hmm.. "some roads". Is that because pollution doesn't travel/spread/disperse over a wider area than where it actually occurs?

Comment

I didn't go to the Tate.

Headache is still headachy.

It's raining again. I think there's a song about that.

Had some wholemeal toast with marmite.

I need to take a meter reading but that requires me to go outside and over to the caretaker's patio where all the meters reside.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Been a bit changeable but at the moment it's grey and windy, and getting darker so probably about to rain; the weather radar shows a front about to swirl in from the southwest

Currently at the peak of 13°C, and 994/1002mB which I think is slightly down

Comment

Working...
                      X