• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening all.

Bathroom renovation continue apace. Todays WTF moment came on attempting to remove a sink and finding whoever fitted it had used adhesive rather than the more conventional screws. Oh well, the tiles were coming off anyway and removing the sink helped a few of them along.

On investigating the electrics for the extractor fan in the ceiling we also discover a 1960's vintage .22 air rifle secreted amongst the roof insulation. A Diana G34 according to the stamp on the receiver. Cocks and dry fires ok an seems in generally sound condition, if a bit scuffed. Worth about £30 as far as I can tell but may come in handy dealing with the rats that have arrived following some more substantial building work taking place nearby.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Scouse for tea, with some big bits of sesame bloomer

Accompanied, of course, by a bit of Trucking Hell

The gate was still unlocked when I went down (and had been left open) and the sticker over the keyhole is still there

No trundling though, as it turned out the recycling bin was only half full

Comment

Read some more of When Money Dies. It appears there was a degree of hyperinflation in Austria in the aftermath of the Great War leading to widespread hunger, such that when mounted police charged an angry mob threatening the Parliament building, the mob dragged the police from their mounts, then slaughtered and butchered the horses right there in the street and carried off the meat

Early night now, ready for Friday tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Temperature -1.6 °C
          Relative humidity 87%
          Pressure 985 hPa

Sunny all day. Might get warm next week. Hope so.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning denizens

The traditional-for-this-week chilly but Simpsonesque start, with the frost on the usual roofs out the back already starting to disperse. Up to 2°C so far on its way to 10°; 1022/1030mB, which is down slightly but, I reckon, not enough to affect anything

I'm assuming I had a reasonable night's sleep as I don't really have much recollection of it, but I still feel a bit tired so maybe it wasn't that good. Or maybe I should have just got an earlier night every night this week

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky has returned. Currently 6 degrees, forecast high of 11. Cloud cover will increase as the day progresses but it's unlikely to rain. Barometer down to 1030 mBar.

I'm fed up of the sneezing so I've chanced a (possibly out of date) anti-histamine in the hope that it's hayfever.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
              Michael Jordan, widely regarded as the best player in the history of basketball, plays his final NBA game 2003

Comment

^^^ Pollen count is high to very high at the moment.

Morning.

CBS.

Sunny.

Dry.

Slightly warmer in here at 16.0 deg.

1030 mBar, 30.4 in Hg, 53% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

The Dream(tm) this morning involved a problem with compiling a Windoze(tm) program written for the M$ C compiler with the Borland C Compiler which threw up run time errors caused by differences in the way the two compilers treated something or other.

Why this should have suddenly appeared in a dream is most odd since it's 15 or more years since I played with that and IIRC I managed to fix it in the end.

Bedding in WM2.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the glorious sunshine.

Smalls out of the TD.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD.

Cottons in the WM on the shirts setting bumped to 60 deg.

Sneezing uncontrollably started.

Lots and lots of chem trails this morning.

The Fireworks M$ nanites responding appropriately.

<hiatus>

By some miracle and the grace of some sky fairy, I've stopped sneezing.

Eyes are still itchy though.

Shirts out of the TD.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly sandwich on same x 2, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Sheets out of WM2 and pegged out on the line.

Shirts roughly iRoned and hanging on the picture rail airing.

Entertainment: Engineering Disasters on Forces TV, starting off with a tanker explosion that must have ruined someone's day, due to a hole near the top of the tank that allowed the cargo to leak into the bilges, the final cargo being NaOH which generated hydrogen when it reacted with the zinc coating in the bilge.

How not to build a multistory car park in New Jersey.

Stalin's ship canal that wouldn't take ships.

Bhopal, or how not to run a pesticide plant.

Cottons out of the TD and airing on the banisters.

East Ohio LNG tank failure. Boom. Wrong grade of nickel steel: 3.5% Nickel instead of the 9% Nickel they use today.

Kansas City Hyatt hotel walkway failure "innovative architecture".

Fast track design and build.

Sheets still a bit too damp for the TD.

Ooooo, sink holes.

San Francisco sewer collapse.

Marriott Hotel car park sewer collapse, Atlanta.

Yangtze River flood 1931. Now that's what I call a flood.

Lastly: that wonder material: asbestos.

<hiatus>

Some slight potching in the box room.

There's a lot of stuff in there.

Why does anyone need 3 electronic digital calipers?

Sheets off the line and in the TD.

Sheets out of the TD and airing over the banisters.

Tea: Tesco chunky breaded haddock, some tinned peaches, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: dunno yet. News Quiz is back on R4 which is a start.

"Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)" directed by that John Carpenter geezer and acted by no one anyone's ever heard of before or since.

Amusing enough once the ordinance starts being used.

Important tip: don't buy icecream in the ghetto, and if you do so, certainly don't go back & complain afterwards.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 April 2021, 20:43.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Mildly pissed now having drunk all the beer in the house over the last week or so, having fallen off the wagon from a great height.

Comment

Fuelling myself for the morning "standup" with a toasted teacake with lashings of butter

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      The Dream(tm) this morning involved a problem with compiling a Windoze(tm) program written for the M$ C compiler with the Borland C Compiler which threw up run time errors caused by differences in the way the two compilers treated something or other.

Why this should have suddenly appeared in a dream is most odd since it's 15 or more years since I played with that and IIRC I managed to fix it in the end.
                      I dreamt about generic types in Java. Arguing whether it was ok to leave <?> in.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X