• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Introducing HWMBO to Trucking Hell...
    He'll enjoy that

On one I saw whilst dining yesterday, the person who did the subtitles clearly wasn't familiar with the Leicestershire accents of the Crouch Recovery guys, leading to some rather odd misinterpretations

It's not even as if it's a particularly broad accent, but I suppose I've lived here for years and wouldn't really notice if it was

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

He'll enjoy that

On one I saw whilst dining yesterday, the person who did the subtitles clearly wasn't familiar with the Leicestershire accents of the Crouch Recovery guys, leading to some rather odd misinterpretations

It's not even as if it's a particularly broad accent, but I suppose I've lived here for years and wouldn't really notice if it was
      Not watched it with subs on, will have to check that out.

HWMBO is hooked, three episodes in a row...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Not watched it with subs on, will have to check that out.

HWMBO is hooked, three episodes in a row...
        You passed your perversions onto hwmbo??? you pervert!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

^^^ What have I done?

<DrS in "Alec Guinness in "Bridge on the River Kwai" mode>

They'll all be out pulling halfshafts out of lorries before you know it.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            ^^^ What have I done?

They'll all be out pulling halfshafts out of lorries before you know it.
            You've done us all a favour, that's what you've done

Tonight's major movie premiere was The Mauritanian (2021) which I thought was very good indeed

And being in Guantanamo Mode because of that, I then rewatched Zero Dark Thirty (2012). Taken together, they're a very good representation of how badly wrong things can go when a nation state thinks it has absolute impunity

There's a bit where they're driving around some city in Pakistan trying to follow a cellphone signal, which reminded me of the bit in Peter Wright's Spycatcher when he's developed a new way of tracking Soviet spies' radio transmissions that will fit in the back of a van. They go to an area where they know a spy regularly transmits from and park up by a wall and wait. When the transmissions start, they set off driving around trying to home in on the source of the signal, but wherever they go, the new piece of kit tells them they're getting further away from it. They assume there's something wrong with their machine, and pack it in. Later, they realise the kit worked perfectly; the spy had been transmitting from a car on the other side of the wall where they'd parked up in the first place

And finally S2E12 of The Shield, Breakpoint (TV Episode 2003), in which we find an answer to the question "What's worse than a predatory paedophile?" No spoilers but… FFS

Goodnight all
            Last edited by NickFitz; 11 April 2021, 05:22. Reason: FFS, forgot the plural of "spy" isn't "spys"

Comment

Temperature 11.7 °C
              Relative humidity 61%
              Pressure 973 hPa

It should get up to 19°C.

Breakfast was cold very spicy pizza. A good way to start the day. This afternoon we plan a two hour walk - but we need to get back home before the showers start.

Cat likes her new cat tree.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning all

Dry and sunny, blue sky with fluff. Currently 4 degrees ('feels like' 1) with a light breeze. Might squeak up to 9 later with a chance of a shower early evening. Barometer up to 1016 mBar

Dropped HWMBO off at Heathrow. No traffic on the roads at 8 am. Lovely drive, marred by the ongoing non-progress of the 'upgrade to a death smart motorway' which has a 50 mph speed limit.

Bed stripped and the first load was put into the WM before we left and will be done in about an hour.

I do wish I could stop sneezing.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                London Transport's Silver Jubilee AEC Routemaster buses are launched 1977

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Cat likes her new cat tree.
                  That's a relief.

The Strangelove Parents purchased a new armchair that remained unused for five years because The Cat refused to have anything to do with it so we had to keep the old one, with the new one relegated to the front room in disgrace.

Morning.

CBS.

Sunny.

What is either frost or light snow on the lawn & salting house roof.

Cold in here at 15.6 deg. Brrrr.

1019 mBar, 30.1 in Hg, 53% RH.

Sunday judging by the wireless.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Anything might happen tomorrow at 06:17.

I see my prior prediction of an NF bedtime proved pretty accurate this morning.

If only a day out.

In slut mode I went shopping without bothering to do the breakfast dishes.

Sunday shop at Tesco and Morrisons done, dusted, washed, dried, sanitised, and put away.

Entertainment whilst awaiting lunch: Police Interceptors in the caliphate again.

Lunch: roast chicken breast with bacon & sausage, a red corner yog, a scotche egg (while I was waiting, Morrisons, reduced), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment (continued): the last bit of Police Interceptors.

"Ring of Spies (aka Shadow of Treason) 1964", detailing the Kroger case with dear old Bernard Lee playing a spy, though this time as the other side, his role being Harry Houghton.

The Krogers got a nice mention, as did Gordon Lonsdale, Ethel Elizabeth Gee and George Blake bringing up the rear.

<hiatus>

Walk walked, during which the CBS changed to increasingly dark clouds, whereupon, instead of raining on me, it snowed.

Rather cold and windy out there.

CBS again now.

And the hayfever is playing up again.

Tea: a Ginsters vegan Quorn "beef" slice (I thought it was a pasty not having taken much notice of the label, Morrisons, reduced), a scotch egg (Morrisons reduced), Heinz pea and ham soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Stuffed now.

Entertainment: Dr Pimple Popper, wherein we get to see what happened to Gerald's finger with its remarkable tumour.

The remainder of the commentary on "Big Trouble in Little China" with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell.

Apparently the septic audience was unaware it was a piss take of "Rambo" et al.

The remainder of the commentary was amusing enough, though there weren't many comments about the film as one might have expected.

Caught the last 10 minutes of "Went the day well (1942)" then switched over to "Really" in preparation for Dr Pimple Popper, only to be presented with some sort of operation on someone's lady parts.

It's amazing the stuff you can't unsee.

Oh, now there's a gory bit with some poor sod who lost 15 stone and is having excess skin removed.

Dear deity, I can't unsee that.

Gerald and his finger are off to see a hand surgeon, along with Dr Pimple Popper.

And Gerald is duly removed from his tumour which turns out to be benign.

Nice job on his finger.

I see "The Emperor of the North (1973)" is showing on Talking Pictures but it's a bit grim and long for watching this evening.

Ernie Borgnine at his evil best, battling with Lee Marvin.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 April 2021, 21:15.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The first bed linen load is done and hung up. The duvet cover is now being boiled. Then I'll do the towels.

I have cleaned and buffed my boots (they aren't the type to polish to a shine). They have a number of pointless buckles and straps which I undid to make it easier to run the leather cleaner over them and the boot surface underneath. Pulled on one of the straps a bit too tight and it came off. After contemplating options such as "buy new boots" and "just cut off the buckle end", i ended up with "I wonder if I can stitch it back together". This has been done and, whilst Suzie Fletcher's job is still very safe, I am happy with the outcome. I've had those boots for 7 or 8 years and there's plenty of life in them yet.

This morning feels far too productive for a Sunday.

Comment

Long walk cancelled. Instead we're going to a visit a friend who's just had some bad news.

Dinner will be cottage pie.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X