• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    How long is the cashmere setting?
    The hand wash cycle is nominally 44 minutes, though it always takes a bit longer.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    That'll take a while.

Putting stuff in the tumble drier on "wool" takes about 5 minutes & it comes back out as wet as when it went in.
    These are only thin jumpers, and the slow spin at the end of the cycle doesn't do too bad a job. I reckon they should be OK by tomorrow morning

Comment

Just think, before long you'll be able to dry them on the radiators.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I ended up in IT because it was less boring than Accounts
        I ended up in IT because Accountancy made me feel grey, and I didn't want to be mistaken for John Major's son...

I will leave IT because all of his successors have managed to make me want to become an Accountant, again.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          I ended up in IT because Accountancy made me feel grey, and I didn't want to be mistaken for John Major's son...

I will leave IT because all of his successors have managed to make me want to become an Accountant, again.
          I ended up in IT because it turns out that geology is really, really, boring and you have to do it for years before they let you go near volcanos. I managed 3 months.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Early tea, though not out of choice. The weather forecast predicted heavy rain from 20:00 onwards, so I decided I'd go for a walk around 19:30, collect my order from the chip shop on the way back, and be home before it got started

So on to the website, and ordered fish & chips… and on the final order confirmation screen, saw that the collection time was 18:30 to 18:40, not the 19:50 to 20:00 I'd selected

Probably user error, though I'm glancing suspiciously at the non-standard JavaScript-powered dropdown menu of collection times some graphic designer has insisted on because the standard <select> control "doesn't look right"

Anyway, I tried phoning them straight away but it seems they don't answer their phone; and this was at about 18:26. So I had no choice but to quickly get my shoes and coat on and go belting down there as fast as I could walk. Luckily, that's very fast when it has to be

And then just as fast coming back as it was going to get cold

So, although it was over an hour earlier than I'd planned, tea was fish & chips and it was very nice indeed

Oh, and due to the watch having chosen to interpret some cleaning and stuff earlier as exercise, I only had to do twenty minutes to close the green ring, and it's about nine minutes' walk up there; so with waiting while he applied salt and vinegar and wrapped it, I ended up getting that as I came back through the door of the flat

Comment

Incidentally, once I got there I think I worked out why they didn't answer the phone: they only have a couple of people working as they don't need to be manning the counter so much when the orders come in online and a lot of them are for delivery, and the phone must be back in the office where they can't hear it if they're both in the shop. I don't suppose the phone plays a significant role in the business of running a chip shop on a Thursday evening

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post

I did 5 years in accounts. I went that way because people will always need accountants but boy was it dull!

Can't say I find my current day job all that riveting but at least there isn't the same repetitive thing going on all day every day.

Comment

Had a little nap. (Ok fell asleep in a chair.)

Then watched Drag Race. It's funny they have the sewing challenge at least once every series and still they get contestants who can't sew. Interestingly both Scottish contestants could sew as they are too poor to pay someone make their outfits and costumes.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh I caught two robot men leave the truck. They left early at 6.17pm. No wonder they are taking forever.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I got into IT because I had a degree in philosophy, but while I was wasting my time on that microcomputers had started turning from a niche hobby to quite a popular thing, and I already enjoyed programming so it saved me the trouble of thinking about what to do

Comment

Working...
                      X