• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain stopped, so walk was briskly walked, and all three rings closed

Comment

Yesterday's MasterChef was followed by yesterday's episode of The Hospital (two featured patients died and they described the struggle to trace and contain an outbreak in Barnet hospital). Now watching some live TV for a change - today's MasterChef.

Dinner was rather enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Hectopascal sounds like something you shouldn't cross the streams on
        FTFY.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Nice to see you; to see you, nice!
          Indeed.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

yesterday's episode of The Hospital (two featured patients died and they described the struggle to trace and contain an outbreak in Barnet hospital)
            A: Monday's episode. B: Spoiler alert

Tea tonight was lamb scouse out of the freezer with both kinds of bread, because it was quick and easy to make and I was busy trying to track down the TPD issue on the new forum

I ate it while watching PART OF Hospital, which I haven't got to the end of yet because I went back to tracking down the aforementioned issue

Turns out it's a serious bit of dumbness on their part. Long story short, getting a page of posts from a thread is a two part process. In the first part they construct a SQL query which returns a resultset in the form |nodeid|starter|nodeid2|, in which nodeid and nodeid2 are always equal and starter is a calculated value, being 1 for the row where nodeid is the id of the first post in the thread, and 0 for all others; and this resultset includes every single post in the thread, so well over 300,000 in TPD's case. And then it orders that resultset so the solitary row with starter equal to 1 is first. I haven't got a clue what they do with it after that because I haven't got through that bit of the code, because I was distracted reading all the stuff in the MySQL manual where it explains why a query of that form is impossible to optimise

I'll find a way round it, but I wish they wouldn't do such idiotic things. They clearly never tested it on a forum with threads that are even tens of thousands of posts long ("Word Associations" is also a bit slow on there), never mind hundreds of thousands

Comment

Other than Hospital, tonight's viewing was Bron/Broen S2E3 and S2E4

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

I have to get up soon to get my supermarket delivery.

Thanks to Christmas they deliver to the slots earliest times....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  A: Monday's episode. B: Spoiler alert
                  Ah! I hadn't noticed the download to the desktop iPlayer app so assumed it was more recent.

And, sorry! I hope I didn't spoil it for you.

Comment

Morning.

Similar start to the day as yesterday - dry with a clear, pale blue sky. It's currently 7 degrees and will reach 11 later. Looks like it's going to be sunny all day then clouding over as it gets dark. Rain expected overnight, post midnight. Barometer up to 1014 mBar.

Tired this morning. Coffee machine decided it wanted a proper cleaning rather than the cursory one it gets most days. I managed to fool it into thinking I'd done the job so I'd get a cuppa out of it and then properly cleaned it after that.

Comment

Morning.

Similar start to the day as yesterday - dry with a clear, pale blue sky. It's currently 7 degrees and will reach 11 later. Looks like it's going to be sunny all day then clouding over as it gets dark. Rain expected overnight, post midnight. Barometer up to 1014 mBar.

Tired this morning. Coffee machine decided it wanted a proper cleaning rather than the cursory one it gets most days. I managed to fool it into thinking I'd done the job so I'd get a cuppa out of it and then properly cleaned it after that.
                      Thanks for the reminder to check we have a descaler kit in the house (not that we need it with our water but the Nespresso machine still insists).
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X