• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain has stopped and it seems to be brightening up.

Caretaker has watered the plants. I never knew ivy and fuschia plants need daily drownings. I was always told (by my mum who is a very good gardener) that most plants only need damp soil as it encourages root strength and prevents root rot. Watering should be when the soil gets too dry; not daily irrespective of weather conditions.

Hey ho. Not my plants.

The main annoyance is that the requirement for a daily drowning largely means I can't sit out on my patio on sunny days. I'll either be at risk of a soaking or sitting in a puddle.

Comment

lunch was spinach/potato (Palak Aloo) curry followed by Kheer
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Rain's here, cottons in the WM, shirts out of the TD, smalls off line & into the TD to finish off.

Just given away to her next door but one an electric log splitter that's been in the shed for years & is no use to me since I don't have a chimney.

She also asked if the 4 foot dish antenna I bought nearly 40 years ago was suitable for a fire pit.

I said no.

I paid £25 for that.

It was intended to be part of a weather satellite (Meteosat) reception project that got as far as buying a totally unsuitable dish and ended there since I couldn't figure out at the time how to make a computer display system for a reasonable price.

IIRC it was the days of the 4416 dynamic ram.
        That £25 is £110 now.

Shirts ironed, cottons in & out of the TD, smalls airing, all done for another week.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Massive hailstones just fell there for 5 mins. Guineas ran for shelter, they're not injured, but they're not happy with the weather.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

That £25 is £110 now.

Shirts ironed, cottons in & out of the TD, smalls airing, all done for another week.
            Pop it on eBay, quick!

Comment

Today's book is "The Cryotron Files" by Iain Dey & Douglas Buck, being the tale of an electrical engineer who was working on low temperature (Liquid He) integrated circuits.

In 1959!
              He was involved with the invention of the core store:

Whirlwind I - Wikipedia

Nice mention of Ken Olsen & the DEC PDP1.

Comment

Turned into quite a pleasant-looking afternoon out there now

I suddenly remembered the monthly prescription, so I’ve been for a walk to the chemist’s and back. They hadn’t made it up yet, so I had to dither in the almost deserted car park - the one that’s usually so full I have to park in a residents bay on the street - until they had. All sorted now, though I’m glad I didn’t trust to the look of things through the window and wore my warm coat

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Turned into quite a pleasant-looking afternoon out there now

I suddenly remembered the monthly prescription, so I’ve been for a walk to the chemist’s and back. They hadn’t made it up yet, so I had to dither in the almost deserted car park - the one that’s usually so full I have to park in a residents bay on the street - until they had. All sorted now, though I’m glad I didn’t trust to the look of things through the window and wore my warm coat
                  the doctor wasn't fibbing...this month

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Pop it on eBay, quick!
                    tat bazaar
                    Married

Comment

Tea: M&S lightly dusted plaice, sweet was custard with stewed apple & stewed gooseberries, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Just remembered the fried potatoes that I poured water over having forgotten they were there.

Now in the compost bin on the way down to the compost heap.

Entertainment: Simon Schama's History of Britain E10 followed by something when I get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X