• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A bit more TNG tonight with Captain's Holiday (TV Episode 1990), which was OK. That planet they all rave about going to on holiday looks dreadful, though; like a futuristic version of a package holiday to Torremolinos where you spend all your time in an “English Bar” drinking Watney’s Red Barrel and eating fish and chips. I’m not surprised Picard didn’t like it

But I wasn’t in the mood for any more of that malarkey, so I turned instead to a book I’ve had on the shelf waiting patiently to be read for *checks Amazon order history* nearly five years: Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh. Excellent stuff

Goodnight all
    <sing> Torremolinos Torremolinos Torremolinos </sing>

Not the finest ep in the oevre.

The book is just getting nicely matured.

As mentioned herein, some of mine have matured for far longer than that, 15 or 20 years in some cases.

The textbooks that have matured unread for nearly half a century have met their fate in the Oxfam bookshop in Swansea.

Morning all

Dry.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Dreadful.

Grey.

White sky verging on dark grey.

Friday.

Shirts in the WM, should be out and into the TD in half an hour or so.

The unmitigated excitment of my life knows very very few bounds.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It's is now daylight and I can report that it is overcast.

I made it as far as Northfields wherein the train terminated due to a signalling failure at Boston Manor. After watching several trains disgorge bewildered tourists and grumpy commuters at Northfields, and no sign of service resumption, I opted to curtail my journey to work and go back home.

If I had gotten up at the right time rather than having a half hour lie in, I would not have been inconvenienced. If I had decided not to get up at all, and just decided to WFH, I would also have not been inconvenienced. Now I am WFH, starting about the same time as if I'd never left the house

Comment

Morning all

S'murky out.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Pissing down now.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            then it was "Red Joan" this being taken from a novel which was vaguely (very vaguely) based on Melita Norwod, the KGB/NKVD/GRU spy who worked for the British Non Ferrous Metals Research Association.

Apparently this useful idiot was more highly regarded than the Cambridge Five and was in post until she retired in 1972.

Considering how much was walking out of Los Alamos back in the mid 40s it's a bit difficult to understand.

Ah, it would appear that it was data on the metallurgy of Uranium that was of importance, rather than the design of the weapon.
            Jeremy Bernstein | Incredible Untrue Events . LRB 10 May 2019

Odd.

Love-struck spy a paler, more palatable version of the real Red Joan
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 January 2020, 09:41.

Comment

Morning denizens

Bustling about getting ready to go and do the shopping… well, mentally, perhaps; in reality, lying back sipping coffee

Grey out again, and dry again, and up to a positively Mediterranean 10°C

Comment

Morning

grey
                not-so-king billy.
                friday

meh.

Comment

Early jam sandwich and cup of tea. It's going to be a long day... firing up the Pluralsight account now; unleash the knowledge.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

In with the hoi polloi after a grey, damp, and drizzly trudge down to town

Time to do a little shopping
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 January 2020, 11:17.

Comment

Shopping done

Well, Sainsbury’s at least; I skipped M&S, partly because I have a vague fear of the car battery going off a cliff edge and not managing three starts (here, M&S, Saisnbury’s), and partly because I’m still trying to persuade myself to take a walk into town some time

The car started OK but I thought I detected a slight hesitation before it fired, so I had a quick run down the M69 and back just to help charge it up. It’s very handy having a motorway to hand that doesn’t have much daytime traffic

And then back to Sainsbury’s, after which it started just fine. I will get around to sorting out a new battery soon…

Anyway, I got a couple of southern not-fried chicken thighs from the tepid-by-the-time-you-get-it-home food counter, so time for lunch

Comment

Working...
                      X