• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Finally, I received my formal inheritance. Her engagement ring and one of her wedding rings (she only married the once but for some reason had three wedding rings, there is a tale there but I forget what it is). The rings came with a 'read me' note. I took a deep breath, expecting to read something that would set me off. Nope. It was instructions to keep the box with the engagement ring should I ever need to sell it as it adds to the value or some such. Typical of my Nan to think of such things. The engagement ring fits perfectly; I may scare HWMBO with it
    Is HWMBO around tomorrow? You could mention it alongside the fact it's the one day every 4 years when a lady can ask
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Is HWMBO around tomorrow? You could mention it alongside the fact it's the one day every 4 years when a lady can ask
      No, we are at opposite ends of the country for a few weeks yet. Oh well, he's dodged a bullet this time!

Comment

My mother's wedding ring "disappeared" we know not where.

And we couldn't find the engagement ring that was left to my niece.

Ho hum.

Then again, I put their marriage certificate so fecking safe I've never found it.

Funerals aren't usually fun, though the commital of my parents' ashes was amusing when "they" dug a hole in the wrong grave.

My father would have loved that since he took a lot of funerals in his time, and one of the best was the one where they approached the grave only to find a jack russell terrier and a large rat chasing each other in the grave.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 February 2020, 23:04.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Funerals aren't usually fun, though the commital of my parents' ashes was amusing when "they" dug a hole in the wrong grave.

My father would have loved that since he took a lot of funerals in his time, and one of the best was the one where they approached the grave only to find a jack russell terrier and a large rat chasing each other in the grave.
          When my great uncle George (he was a great uncle in the sense of generations, as well as being a great uncle) was being taken from the church to Allerton Cemetery, the cortège was travelling up Springwood Avenue towards the crossroads with Woolton Road (by the Leonard Cheshire Home as was) when, clearing the trees and shrubs near said home, we saw that another cortège was coming down Woolton Road.

We immediately realised that if they made it to the crossroads before us they would also beat us to the cemetery gates, and we would have to wait behind them; whereas if we made it there before them, we won

The drivers of the cortège clearly also realised this, for they put their feet down and our speed increased from 20mph to 20.5mph. But the rivals increased their speed to 21mph. So our guys went for 21.5mph, and so it carried on with almost imperceptible increases of speed, probably getting as high as 24mph before they finally beat us to the junction.

We were sat in the car behind the hearse, watching this in silence but fully aware of the stakes and enjoying it tremendously

So anyway, they beat us to the cemetery, and we were left queuing behind them in the drive. We all got out of the cars and just hung around. As we did so, the funeral director came up to my mother and told her how tremendously sorry he was that we had to wait. And she told him: “You don’t have to apologise. Georgy’ll have been looking down, watching the way we raced to the crossroads, and laughing his head off at it all! He’ll have loved it!”

And she was right; he would

Comment

Much binging on Forbrydelsen tonight: S1E14, S1E15, S1E16, and S1E17. I would have carried on, but I should probably get some sleep

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The bus had to wait outside; no way you could fit a bus in the Castle Inn
              Reminds me of when I lived in Eltham and someone decided to let off tear gas in a local pub. Police commandered a bus to take everyone to hospital....

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                The drive to Sussex was without incident. Rained the entire way and got steadily worse the further south I travelled.

My Dad had picked up some sherry type glasses from my Nan's flat and put them aside for me to decide if I wanted them. I did. One set of six is a lovely cut glass design. The other set (was six, now five) is a simple clear glass with a smoked stem. No idea where I will put them but I liked them a lot. I also got some felt dark red gloves that are just lovely. A couple of baking tins completed the stash.

Also put aside for me was the ceramic poppy I had bought my Nan from the from display that was at the Tower of London. It was always her intention to give it back to me on her passing. There was a mild panic when it couldn't initally be found but had been discovered, carefully boxed, behind the ironing board. TBH if I wanted to put something in a safe place, where it wouldn't be disturbed, behind the ironing board is exactly where it would go!

Finally, I received my formal inheritance. Her engagement ring and one of her wedding rings (she only married the once but for some reason had three wedding rings, there is a tale there but I forget what it is). The rings came with a 'read me' note. I took a deep breath, expecting to read something that would set me off. Nope. It was instructions to keep the box with the engagement ring should I ever need to sell it as it adds to the value or some such. Typical of my Nan to think of such things. The engagement ring fits perfectly; I may scare HWMBO with it

The service was short but very nice. My cousin read out a piece she had written about childhood memories of visiting my grandparents and the things my Nan would do to make all visits fun. Many people were set off at talk of the pink iced cake (the recipe that I have lost...).

My reading was a poem my Nan had found that she liked and wanted to share: She (He) is Gone. I had practised and so was able to read it without getting all weepy.

Then off to Findon Manor Hotel for the wake, which was a jolly affair.

Drove home, another uneventful journey as they should all be. I was pleased I got a space just by my flat, which was very unexpected.

TL;DR - went to my Nan's funeral, the day passed without incident, it rained all day
                Very sorry to hear that - except scaring HWMBO.....

Comment

God I hate funerals. Should I ever die(which would be nice but I suspect won't be for a while) just put my corpse in the rubbish and if you think of me try to be contented. Don't try to be happy as that is a false state....

Comment

Morning all

It’s raining. I need to take The Dog (tw) for a walk.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Sunny.

Dry.

No, Wait a moment:

Dark.

Dreary.

Hail storm.

Hang on:

Sunny.

Damp.

Blue sky in parts.

Saturday apparently, not that it makes any odds to me.

Water charge: £608.

while (1){ rain; hail; sun; wind; }

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 February 2020, 09:37.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X