• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    getting my hair cut
    What?

It's not five minutes since you did that last time.

25 minutes to go & counting.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 14 July 2017, 14:47.

Comment

…various errands, the most important (but least enjoyable) of which is getting my hair cut
      The haircut went well!

I got the woman who has the dual advantage of seeming to be the most competent of the lot and of prattling the least, so that was a good start. Then by dint of insisting that I wanted lots off the top, and then asking her to go back and thin it out even more, we finally finished up with something approximating to what I probably would have wanted if I'd known what I wanted in the first place

And then I got the shopping done, which has resulted in the freezer reverting to its very full state. But that's just while stuff is freezing; once it's done that, I can remove the packaging and shrink-wrap a lot of the stuff in individual portions, which will free lots of space. But most importantly, I think I now have enough stuff in there to see me through work days, on which I don't want to spend a long time cooking, for most of the way through to the end of this gig

So that's all sorted out, and I can enjoy the rest of the weekend

Comment

The haircut went well!
        Excellent.

Do they insist on spraying water all over your hair while they're cutting it?

That seems to be the in thing with my barber.

That way it looks like more was cut off until, of course, it dries, whereupon you discover that you'll be back there in 3 weeks.

The other thing that amazes me is the amount of time these really short haircuts take.

Short back & sides used to be quick.

This stuff, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Excellent.

Do they insist on spraying water all over your hair while they're cutting it?

That seems to be the in thing with my barber.

That way it looks like more was cut off until, of course, it dries, whereupon you discover that you'll be back there in 3 weeks.

The other thing that amazes me is the amount of time these really short haircuts take.

Short back & sides used to be quick.

This stuff, not so much.
          Yes, they dampen it down to make it a bit more manageable, but they whizz the hairdryer over it afterwards. I think telling her to chop the extra off was worthwhile; I'm hoping I can make this do until the autumn, by which time it'll be getting out of hand again.

Comment

Pork chops, chips, peas, and gravy for tea

The two chops were each big enough for one meal in their own right. This situation was addressed by having twice as much of everything else too, so it all evened out

Comment

This evening's time was spend watching "Training Day", Denzel Washington & Ethan Hawke, 2001.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139654/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Quite gripping but not exactly enjoyable.
              Last edited by zeitghost; 14 July 2017, 22:19.

Comment

strike up a conversation with your barber get him to describe the cut professionally.

Mine is no2 (no1 in high summer) on the sides, feather in on top, cut top so it just lays down, DO NOT cut away from the ears.

I get the right cut every time, admittedly discussed in Arabic but he is a nice chap.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  This evening's time was spend watching "Training Day", Denzel Washington & Ethan Hawke, 2001.

Training Day (2001) - IMDb

Quite gripping but not exactly enjoyable.
                  I watched that a couple of months ago. I thought it was good, but at the end of the day there's no redemption for anyone really; pretty bleak

Tonight I opened the evening's cinema with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Spoiler alert: This is a pretty traumatising horror film in which humans do terrible things to apes, but there's redemption in the end as the apes grow powerful enough to overthrow their oppressors and fight their way to liberty (not the statue thereof, as they quite rightly prefer huge trees)

There's also a teaser bit in the credits suggesting the humans are getting wiped out by a plague to which the apes are immune, so hopefully the succeeding films will portray a more positive scenario

After that I watched Mission: Impossible 2, which is rather hampered in its execution by being set almost entirely in Sydney. Not that Sydney is a bad place, but if you're anything like me you realise quite early that this must be because of the tax breaks Sydney was giving to movie companies to make films there at that time (hence The Matrix being shot there).

And after that I returned to Halt and Catch Fire, which I'd been watching but had forgotten about months ago, because I have to fire up the Amazon app on the telly to watch it

It was the episode at Comdex, the big computer show in Las Vegas, which stirred up memories of going to the PCW show at Earl's Court in the 1980s with the small game development company I then worked for, and demoing work-in-progress to our game publisher clients on their stands. Happy days

Goodnight all

Comment

After yesterday's fine weather it's only right & proper that Saturday should be grey, grim and drizzly.

Comment

Morning all raining here. Thinking of going to Guildford to buy a new lens and a new guitar.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X