• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just set up the echo I bought on prime day.

It's ok for playing music but not brilliant. Will do until the Homepods appear though...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

M&S southern fried chicken pieces (out of the freezer, and not fried) with chips and lashings of tomato sauce for tea

There are three shrink-wrapped bricks of light brown casserole in the freezer, and I couldn't remember what they were. I was pretty sure they weren't some kind of curry, and they aren't as dark as the steak and ale. I finally remembered when I was queuing in Sainsbury's Local (with several bottles of Old Peculier): sausage and onion casserole, with a white wine sauce.

I really should get around to labelling this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's ok for playing music but not brilliant. Will do until the Homepods appear though...
        https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguye...wO#.uoyyERMPMV

You can use the Echo as a Bluetooth speaker by putting your device in Bluetooth pairing mode, then saying, "Alexa, pair." When you're done, you can say, "Alexa, disconnect."
        The Amazon Echo Dot is more versatile with Bluetooth speakers than wired speakers | AFTVnews

I have dots and connect to external speakers.

In the end will have a raspberry pi wired to lots of microphones & speakers.

should be better.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This evening's rather lackluster entertainment was provided by S3E7 of "Fargo", followed by "The Bounty Hunter" with Gerard Butler & Jennifer Aniston

The Bounty Hunter (2010) - IMDb

Rather disappointingly it turned out to be a romcom with added bits of violence thrown in.

Thank feck for FF.

I should have taken note that Aniston was first billed.

Ho hum.

Judging by the reviews on imdb, most of the reviewers would have liked an FF button too.
          Last edited by zeitghost; 14 July 2017, 07:34.

Comment

TFBSZ. Tomorrow my next guitar search moves away from Godin and on to 335 style. Possibly.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Mine comes in a few days time with a Bose speaker.

I plan to buy alcohol with my fresh vouchers.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tonight's TV spectacular opened with another episode of the latest series/season of Homeland.

I think the reason it's taking me a while to get through TV series is that I tend to watch them on Thursday night, when I'm feeling worn out after work. So I decided to watch a film, preferably one that doesn't require much thought, after that.

I started watching The Forger, but it turns out that's not just a mindless heist movie - it seems very good indeed, but I bailed after a bit as it's clearly a film that deserves some attention. Instead, I ended up rewatching Patriot Games.

I first watched this nearly two years ago, and voiced some objections then. This time I noticed that, when the IRA chaps are taking the number plates off the taxi after their failed assassination or kidnapping or whatever it was they were up to at the start, the font on the number plates was nothing at all like actual number plate fonts; and a London black cab is one vehicle you can guarantee will only ever have a legal plate, as no cabbie would risk losing their green badge over something that stupid.

This annoyed me almost as much as that thing Flood that showed a Tube roundel over an Underground station with the word "Underground" in some nondescript modern sans serif font so undistinguished that I didn't even recognise it by name

Seriously, people who make things for films and TV, it's not that hard to find the right font for these things.

Shout out at this point to the remake of Total Recall from the other year which had impressive CGI scenes on big overhead highways in London, with holographic signs that actually matched the signs for the same locations in modern London such as pointing the correct way from Whitehall to St. Thomas's Hospital, used the same colours as modern road signs such as the green background for A roads and, best of all, used the actual font - named Transport - that is used on non-motorway road signs

Also, back in Patriot Games: at one point Clannad's Theme from Harry's Game was playing, and the subtitles just said "Singing in Irish", which I thought was rather harsh and dismissive

Fun fact, for certain values of "fun": I read the original novel Harry's Game a couple of months before it was published. The author, ITN reporter Gerald Seymour, had the same editor as my father at Hodder & Stoughton, and whenever my dad went down to meet said editor they'd give him a book or two that was about to come out; and one time, Harry's Game was it. I thought it was very good

Anyway, goodnight all

Comment

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X