• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans

Public bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 changes :: Contractor UK

Too little, too late and they're only trying to kick the can down the road.

This isn't to help contractors - it's to help their incompetence and ignorance, as they're up to their eyeballs in collapsing projects.

Tough titty guys, if you'd listened to us then you wouldn't find yourselves in the do-do now.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

This isn't to help contractors - it's to help their incompetence and ignorance, as they're up to their eyeballs in collapsing projects.

Tough titty guys, if you'd listened to us then you wouldn't find yourselves in the do-do now.
    Yep its too little, too late and the damage is already done. They would be better pushing for it to be implemented on April 6th and then spending April - June trying to recruit the appropriate people on the appropriate contracts....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The whining in that article could be heard over airliner jet engines.

“None of these changes would have been necessary if HMRC had properly enforced IR35 over the last 17 years. It is wrong to railroad badly planned legislation that effectively makes the public sector do HMRC’s job for them. It’s ill-thought through and is causing chaos.”
      But SOLACE says a “further risk is that contractors may at short notice simply choose not to work for local authorities, putting the delivery of critical services such as social care and children’s services at risk.”
      But I really love this bit...
      "Many contractors are simply deciding to leave the public sector, or seeking an increase in their rates, which in turn is exacerbating skills shortages and financial pressure in an already stretched public sector.”
      Like it's our fault.

Get real PS - you never had a problem using us before, and as the big consultancies say - don't take is personally, it's just business...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

When you said tough titty I wasn't quite sure if you meant the PS bodies of the contractors but the post above makes it clearer..

Interesting comment though

"Many contractors are simply deciding to leave the public sector, or seeking an increase in their rates, which in turn is exacerbating skills shortages and financial pressure in an already stretched public sector.”
        I don't see much of that happening from the posts on here. Maybe the view we have is skewed as those that don't really know what to do appear on here rather than deal with it but there are certainly plenty that aren't doing either of those it seems.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

To be fair, you could say the same regarding contractors, they perhaps should of united last year or before when Umbrella's via SDC came under scrutiny. HMRC have played the slow game of divide and conquer it seems..

What was that old adage..?

Perhaps it should now be..

At first they came for the Umbrellas, but i wasn't working via an Umbrella so I stood by and watched..

They they came for the contractors in the Public sector PSC's,...

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
            To be fair, you could say the same regarding contractors, they perhaps should of united last year or before when Umbrella's via SDC came under scrutiny. HMRC have played the slow game of divide and conquer it seems..

What was that old adage..?

Perhaps it should now be..

At first they came for the Umbrellas, but i wasn't working via an Umbrella so I stood by and watched..
            Actually the rules over a year ago weren't clear on who they were targeting so lots of us helped the protagonists on here with information to put in responses. HMRC then decided just apply the rules to umbrella companies as it was easier.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
              This was never going to work. Look at the number of people only just learning this is happening to them now. The numbers that were aware a year ago and cared about uniting were tiny and most of those will have just left as per the advice back them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This was never going to work. Look at the number of people only just learning this is happening to them now. The numbers that were aware a year ago and cared about uniting were tiny and most of those will have just left as per the advice back them.
                Who's responsibility was it to make contractors aware or was it just down to themselves to find out?

First I heard was a call from the agency about two weeks ago telling me I had to fold my Ltd co and go via their umbrella post 5th April.......Out of "loyalty" I turned down a very tempting Private sector contract only a week or so earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by notahappybunny View Post
                  Who's responsibility was it to make contractors aware or was it just down to themselves to find out?

First I heard was a call from the agency about two weeks ago telling me I had to fold my Ltd co and go via their umbrella post 5th April.......Out of "loyalty" I turned down a very tempting Private sector contract only a week or so earlier.
                  It's been out there - very loudly in some areas - since at least the last Autumn Statement from Hammond...

As for responsibility - you're a contractor, it's up to you to keep and eye out for anything that affects your business.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by notahappybunny View Post
                    It's your business so that would be you.

Comment

Working...
                    X