• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans"

Collapse

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's interesting to see who is thanking / liking which replies....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    Shared on a locums forum (although it is a bit there!)
    Wrapped it up in a short article on LinkdIn.

Already done one piece on the IR35 changes that got a good response, so tagged it as a follow up on that.

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    I'm not oblivious I just know that certain things can be fought and certain things are going to occur regardless (it's why I fought hard on the PSC expenses issue but not the public sector changes).

Now if you want to be useful take that NHS letter I linked to earlier and send it to a few people. Spreading that far and wide would be a better use of our time today than arguing and pointless point scoring here.
    Shared on a locums forum (although it is a bit there!)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    You seem to have interpreted my post as some kind of personal thing aimed at you - it was not aimed at any specific individual.
    Nope I just thought it was worth replying to.

It's interesting to see who is thanking / liking which replies....

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    1) nope - couldn't argue that - once people were tricked into those schemes there was no argument to support them... What I have done since 2002 is state that joining a scheme is a bad idea and will lead to pain.
    2) believe me I argued but its a annoyingly small jump in logic from 3 month temp contract (you can't claim expenses) to a 3 month temp contract via an umbrella - it was a losing battle. What we did win was the fact personal service companies were not hit by the same rules - the IR35 amendment was a clue to the next plan but wasn't part of the initial discussion document.
    3) Where? I've not seen a direct attack on bum on seat contractors.
    4) Hmm - everyone has complained about this but HMG isn't listening...
    You seem to have interpreted my post as some kind of personal thing aimed at you - it was not aimed at any specific individual.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Our symbol should be a frog sitting cozily in a warm bath, totally oblivious to the temperature being increased slowly but surely.
    (well, not so slowly now)
    I'm not oblivious I just know that certain things can be fought and certain things are going to occur regardless (it's why I fought hard on the PSC expenses issue but not the public sector changes).

Now if you want to be useful take that NHS letter I linked to earlier and send it to a few people. Spreading that far and wide would be a better use of our time today than arguing and pointless point scoring here.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    First they came for the loan users, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I was not a loan user.
    Then they came for the umbrella companies, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not an umbrella user.
    Then they came for the bum on seat contractors, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not a BoS contractor.
    Then they came for the public sector workers, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I'm smart enough to be able to move to private sector easily.

Then it was March 8th 2017, and I'm not celebrating any more.
    1) nope - couldn't argue that - once people were tricked into those schemes there was no argument to support them... What I have done since 2002 is state that joining a scheme is a bad idea and will lead to pain.
    2) believe me I argued but its a annoyingly small jump in logic from 3 month temp contract (you can't claim expenses) to a 3 month temp contract via an umbrella - it was a losing battle. What we did win was the fact personal service companies were not hit by the same rules - the IR35 amendment was a clue to the next plan but wasn't part of the initial discussion document.
    3) Where? I've not seen a direct attack on bum on seat contractors.
    4) Hmm - everyone has complained about this but HMG isn't listening...

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
    This is how the government implements most actions that would otherwise bring protest or legal challenge. They slowly establish new norms so as not to trigger the realisation of loss of liberty. There is a reason why the tortoise is the symbol of the Fabian Society.
    Our symbol should be a frog sitting cozily in a warm bath, totally oblivious to the temperature being increased slowly but surely.
    (well, not so slowly now)

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    First they came for the loan users, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I was not a loan user.
    Then they came for the umbrella companies, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not an umbrella user.
    Then they came for the bum on seat contractors, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not a BoS contractor.
    Then they came for the public sector workers, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I'm smart enough to be able to move to private sector easily.

Spot-on summary of the UK Contractor's mentality, thank you.

Of course, the above can be broken down into further categories, pretty much ad infinitum.
    Contractors in this country are always, ALWAYS happy to splinter into ever-tiner factions, as long as it gives them a feeling of superiority oveir their "lesser" fellow contractors. Nowhere is this better demonstrated than on these forums.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I didn't say I was any good at it

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied

This is how the government implements most actions that would otherwise bring protest or legal challenge. They slowly establish new norms so as not to trigger the realisation of loss of liberty. There is a reason why the tortoise is the symbol of the Fabian Society.

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Me too.......

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I got it all in with a AK against a guy with AQ a couple of nights ago and he river'd the Q. Last night on the final table I shove 4 BB with KK and a guy turns A3 and rivers the A. Why is it always on the river?... but yes. I would't dare post any of that on a poker forum lol...

You had an ace queen by the river a couple of nights ago? I wouldn't have posted it here either if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Who's "we"?

Personally, I try to be constructive and helpful regardless of how new or ill-informed the poster is.
    Me too.......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rob s View Post
    and I thought poker forums were bad
    I got it all in with a AK against a guy with AQ a couple of nights ago and he river'd the Q. Last night on the final table I shove 4 BB with KK and a guy turns A3 and rivers the A. Why is it always on the river?... but yes. I would't dare post any of that on a poker forum lol...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X