• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's responsibility was it to make contractors aware or was it just down to themselves to find out?

First I heard was a call from the agency about two weeks ago telling me I had to fold my Ltd co and go via their umbrella post 5th April.......Out of "loyalty" I turned down a very tempting Private sector contract only a week or so earlier.

The changes have been discussed on here for ages. It's everyone's responsibility to keep track of legislative changes coming down the line which will impact their business. Dipping in here every now and again is one way of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
      To be fair, you could say the same regarding contractors, they perhaps should of united last year or before when Umbrella's via SDC came under scrutiny. HMRC have played the slow game of divide and conquer it seems..
      If a organisation like PCG/IPSE doesn't have enough weight behind it to make government sit up and take notice then I doubt some contractors uniting would make much difference unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
        If a organisation like PCG/IPSE doesn't have enough weight behind it to make government sit up and take notice then I doubt some contractors uniting would make much difference unfortunately.
        It wasn't just the contractors that needed to come together. Agencies went all cold on SDC once they found out they wouldn't be involved in the liability. PSC's didn't care about Brollies and now the private sector is turning its nose up at Public Sector contractors. the market as a whole has strength, divided its weak. Agencies, end clients and contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by notahappybunny View Post
          Who's responsibility was it to make contractors aware or was it just down to themselves to find out?

First I heard was a call from the agency about two weeks ago telling me I had to fold my Ltd co and go via their umbrella post 5th April.......Out of "loyalty" I turned down a very tempting Private sector contract only a week or so earlier.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by notahappybunny View Post

Do you still have the details of that role I might be interested even if you aren't

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
              Stating the obvious, I know, but the only way contractors can have any weight on Gov is by voting with their feet (and their wallets).
              IPSE is a club where they have tea with Gov every once in a while - nothing of any consequence is to be expected to come from it.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

There is a lot of anger in the Public Sector that this is being imposed on them. Very much seen as HMRC looking after themselves and leaving everyone else to deal with (and pay for) it.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Told you they work in silos ...

Comment

PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                    IPSE is a club where they have tea with Gov every once in a while - nothing of any consequence is to be expected to come from it.
                    Correct. They just love talking and getting the opportunity to visit number 10. I certainly don't need them for that, I just take my own photos ...
                    Last edited by seeourbee; 9 March 2017, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
                      Correct. They just love talking and getting the opportunity to visit number 10. I certainly don't need them for that, I just take my own photos ...

Change the record, please. Not just IPSE but REC, APSCo, ACAEW, IOD, FSB, assorted Public Sector representative bodies and dozens of others have told HMG it won't work. They aren't listening. Blaming the ones doing the telling is simply pointless - unless you have a better approach of course.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X