• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PS Bodies unite to try to shelve IR35 plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    But both wrong and naïve. They may well be applied far more widely than was originally intended (about which I am actually unconvinced), but the sole idea is to secure tax revenues that are under dispute and that may "disappear" the final position is resolved. That is not actually that unreasonable. What is unreasonable is imposing it on people who have no way to pay them pending that resolution. But this is an old argument, and has no place in this context.

And FWIW, while I very rarely agree with eek, on this one point I do. You may have been looking for a non-IR35 solution, but that does not to my mind mean you suddenly pay significantly less tax as a result.
    To be honest half the time I pick an argument with you for the fun of it....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Semtex?
      I doubt you can blow your own nose

And yes I consider you were a total MUG when you joined your tax avoidance scheme.

HTH
      Good one...

What makes you think I was in a scheme? I was not...

Reading your posts you have not offered any constructive views or help, just how great you are as all your family are 'self employed'.

really rather tedious. But I will leave it now.

Enjoy your excellent contracting career, but going forward please think of all the new forum members who rely on decent experienced contractors to assist them?

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
        Good one...

Reading your posts you have not offered any constructive views or help, just how great you are as all your family are 'self employed'.

Enjoy your excellent contracting career, but going forward please think of all the new forum members who rely on decent experienced contractors to assist them?
        We do. We also ignore or treat with appropriate contempt new posters who tell us how to do things...

Oh and look who wrote the FAQ that sits at the top of this forum. I don't notice your name on it...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          We do. We also ignore or treat with appropriate contempt new posters who tell us how to do things...

Oh and look who wrote the FAQ that sits at the top of this forum. I don't notice your name on it...
          Thank you Sir Eek (walks away backwards whilst flailing himself with a thorn bush saying "not worthy")

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
            Good one...

I've actually reviewed your posts and fail to see anything constructive in any of them unfortunately.
            Plenty of whinging and bleating but nothing useful, happy to be proved wrong.

The main point, of that last post, was we were educated as we were growing up in that way of freelance working.
            The secondary point was the fact that my old man thought the schemes were a load of old pony and he worked in construction.

Anyway Ill leave it there
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My God you guys have a lot of time on your hands ...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                But both wrong and naïve. They may well be applied far more widely than was originally intended (about which I am actually unconvinced), but the sole idea is to secure tax revenues that are under dispute and that may "disappear" the final position is resolved. That is not actually that unreasonable. What is unreasonable is imposing it on people who have no way to pay them pending that resolution. But this is an old argument, and has no place in this context.

And FWIW, while I very rarely agree with eek, on this one point I do. You may have been looking for a non-IR35 solution, but that does not to my mind mean you suddenly pay significantly less tax as a result.
                He's probably right though but not in the way he thinks. We sit here on our high horses looking down on the bums in seat contractors who don't keep themselves informed and by doing so we shoot ourselves in both feet.

Personally I've informed my fellow contractors of just how badly this might turn out for us and they all stared the client out until there was a big fat exception carved out for our group. We asserted our position strongly and we did it early and it looks to have been worked out.

The parts of the PS client I'm not involved in? Well I've only heard about massive in determinations so far.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Who's "we"?

Personally, I try to be constructive and helpful regardless of how new or ill-informed the poster is.

Comment

and I thought poker forums were bad

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                      We sit here on our high horses looking down on the bums in seat contractors who don't keep themselves informed and by doing so we shoot ourselves in both feet.
                      First they came for the loan users, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I was not a loan user.
                      Then they came for the umbrella companies, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not an umbrella user.
                      Then they came for the bum on seat contractors, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I am not a BoS contractor.
                      Then they came for the public sector workers, and I celebrated - I was left alone because I'm smart enough to be able to move to private sector easily.

Then it was March 8th 2017, and I'm not celebrating any more.
                      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
                      X