• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what's your average monthly food spend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's your average monthly food spend?

I've noticed recently that we're spending crazy amounts each month without actually buying much we don't really budget, just kind of buy whatever we like without sticking to a set amount per week, but we don't go crazy mental with spending (like for example buying 1kg of smoked salmon per week or eating sirloin steak for breakfast) and think hard about what is needed and we rarely throw out food. So just as a point of reference, what are people spending on food these days, average per month / week? I'm talking grocery shopping for a family of 4 here, so drop a line re what your scenario is, so I can extrapolate if needed.

No bloody idea. The number of people needing to be fed at home varies between 2 and 12 depending on how many offspring are here and if their +1's are also staying.

I don't think we've had a month when it's just been us 2 at home since before the kids were born. They've all "left home" now but oddly, that doesn't mean they're not here to be fed.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average...is%20%C2%A3129.

On average £400-600 but if the middle one comes back from UNI the fridges empty. All that rowing needs to be fuelled!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would say around £400 just for me now I am divorced and living alone. I don't drink or smoke and I cook all my meals and eat a lot of veg so it's all healthy and fairly cheap, means I can build on the warchest each month.

Comment

Dunno, probably 800 or so for two of us, and we’re not dwarf stars like MF.

Comment

I'll ask the butler to take it up with the kitchen staff.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I live in Switzerland, so

Which is about 2 francs.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

About £250 for 2 of us, including one take away per month for both of us. +£75 when daughter comes from UNI to visit for couple of days.

Comment

Prolly £100 per person each month in our household. We do eat a lot of fresh-ish food though, which means we can buy rice, flour, potatoes etc in relatively bulk amounts.

Chicken is a good example: 1Kg is say £6 and will feed the family for one meal.

Plus eating out which adds say £50pp per month.

Comment

Around £600 / month for a family of 4.

Wife insists on buying meat from local butcher, which I have to concede is much better, but the usual online Tescos shop is about £100-120, plus another £20-odd at the butcher and top-ups from local Co-op.

Kids are older now, but convinced it's about 50% increase from 2-3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X