• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what's your average monthly food spend?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    This thread makes me realise I have no idea.

I make a shopping list then buy what's on that list. ​​​

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It's a real bugbear of mine that you can essentially fill your basket full of rubbish for about £10 yet food to give you longevity like chicken, broccoli, almonds and blueberries all come at a premium price.

I'm desperately trying to hit a 14 second 100m sprint time at the moment so a big portion of my income goes on the weekly shop.
    good luck! That is how long it takes me to open a beer nowadays!

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

I guess that, at least partially, answers the question why more than 50% of household purchases in the UK are ultra processed foods...
    I'm not so sure, although I suppose it depends what processed foods you buy. When we had the kitchen done we literally lived off microwave food for about 12 weeks, went through all the options, the cost was about the same around 50-60 quid... the trolley was neatly packed mind :-)

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It's a real bugbear of mine that you can essentially fill your basket full of rubbish for about £10 yet food to give you longevity like chicken, broccoli, almonds and blueberries all come at a premium price.[...]
    I guess that, at least partially, answers the question why more than 50% of household purchases in the UK are ultra processed foods...

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    It's a real bugbear of mine that you can essentially fill your basket full of rubbish for about £10 yet food to give you longevity like chicken, broccoli, almonds and blueberries all come at a premium price.

I'm desperately trying to hit a 14 second 100m sprint time at the moment so a big portion of my income goes on the weekly shop.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
    About £400 a month for two. But that's with some high earner lifestyle creep - I buy a decent amount of varied fresh fish and line-caught wild salmon, few other luxuries. In my peasant days that was bag of frozen basa fillets.
    I recall a guy who tastes fish for a living. He said he always buys frozen fish. Like peas, it's best bought frozen. It's frozen pretty soon after it's been caught. "Fresh" fish can be ten hours old.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    do these numbers include wine and beer ?

Milan.
    hell no!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

do these numbers include wine and beer ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Does one count tips for waiters and other such menials?

I find it hard to remember when I wasn't served food - let alone actually Shopping!!
    That's the only answer there should be on this thread in this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Does one count tips for waiters and other such menials?

I find it hard to remember when I wasn't served food - let alone actually <Ughh> Shopping!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    family of four I guess around 700quid a month

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

they do nice steak (they did a flat iron one a few years ago - our localish Morrisons closed) Their Steak pies were good (as nice as Greggs).
    Indeed, their butcher's\market street meat range is top, the casserole steak is fantastic, lovely big chunks that stay big after 1.5-2 hours cooking :-)

Leave a comment:

• Paracelsus
    replied
    About £400 a month for two. But that's with some high earner lifestyle creep - I buy a decent amount of varied fresh fish and line-caught wild salmon, few other luxuries. In my peasant days that was bag of frozen basa fillets.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Just two of us and average £59.05/week going by the last 12 Morrison's online shops... let's call it £240/month. Pretty much all meals cooked from scratch (by me ) exceptions are pizza and Morrison's fish pie which is truly a delight.
    they do nice steak (they did a flat iron one a few years ago - our localish Morrisons closed) Their Steak pies were good (as nice as Greggs).

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Just two of us and average £59.05/week going by the last 12 Morrison's online shops... let's call it £240/month. Pretty much all meals cooked from scratch (by me ) exceptions are pizza and Morrison's fish pie which is truly a delight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X