• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inheritance squabbles.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got no kids. Can't stand any of our remaining close relatives. Don't intend to leave much behind anyway. We'll downsize, or do equity release, at some point so there's not much left in the property.

Our mirror Wills leave everything to a pet charity to take care of our pets.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Not "really" relevant to the OP but this information may be of assistance to at least one of you out there...

If one of your parents dies before the other and leaves *everything* to the surviving parent then on the death of the second parent both allowances of £325k can be claimed against Inheritance Tax. Thus no inheritance tax is due on the first £650k of the estate.

Hope that helps someone.
      Last edited by Zigenare; 3 May 2023, 07:02. Reason: Maffs
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I think issues arise where there is poor communication. Our family have always been up front about arrangements which, to outsiders, might seem a bit heartless. However, knowing everyone's wishes and where we all stand makes everything so much simpler.
        That's our outlook too. Things have changed now, as we have to deal with inheritance laws put in place by Napolean, but previously: surviving spouse gets the lot. On their death, the estate is equally split between our children (or their descendents if they've already snuffed it and have kids of their own). We made some provision for our siblings to inherit if the whole family was wiped out in one go.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Not "really" relevant to the OP but this information may be of assistance to at least one of you out there...

If one of your parents dies before the other and leaves *everything* to the surviving parent then on the death of the second parent both allowances of £325k can be claimed against Inheritance Tax. Thus no inheritance tax is due on the first £750k of the estate.

Hope that helps someone.
          Shirley it's the first £650k.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Shirley it's the first £650k.
            It is, my mishtake.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              We also looked at buying a care annuity but the cost of one of them is no different to selling the house - the only benefit is that you're less likely to run out of money if she lives longer than the underwriters planned for.
              I'm not sure how old your mum is but we've been told by an IFA that my dad could probably get a 25-28% annuity rate, i.e. if you put £200k in they'll pay £50-56k per annum until death. He has an occupational pension and with the two combined that would cover the likely care home fees. But he's in his 90s and your mum may be a lot younger, which would mean a much lower annuity rate. The £200k would come from selling his house. The advantage is that any extra cash left from the house sale proceeds then remains untouched in his estate unless he decides to spend it. It's a bit of a gamble - a 25% rate means that if he's still going after 4 years, he's better off than if he just paid for the care home out of his own pocket.

You probably know all this but I'm mentioning it as it wasn't an option I even knew about until recently, so it may help others.

Comment

I'm currently more worried that my Mum will end up in a home and the inheritance will go on care home fees
                I intend to murder someone before I get to that point so I'll be taken care of of in prison.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If you trust your child or simply have no money then rid yourself of assets (long holidays should mop up the surplus) and live on the goodwill of the child / low rent social housing. Keep funds in the bank low and claim pension credit then when the time comes the LA will pay your fees

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                    If you trust your child or simply have no money then rid yourself of assets (long holidays should mop up the surplus) and live on the goodwill of the child / low rent social housing. Keep funds in the bank low and claim pension credit then when the time comes the LA will pay your fees
                    Be careful with this. Strangely it was in The Times this weekend where a woman had gifted her house to her children but continued to live in it rent free. This then is not counted as a gift so is subject to inheritance tax. Also you have to pay market rent or ditto.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It's not muddled.

1. My aunt wants 100% of her own estate to go to her daughter - any trust is up to her and nothing to do with my fathers estate.

2. She also believes my father should have amended his will to look after her side of the family which I find quite unbelievable considering the point above.
                      1 & 2 seem somewhat unrelated, but in either case 1)is her problem though giving advice is kind of you 2)this is totally out of your hands assuming you have no knowledge of any desire he had to change the will... tough for her basically.

When mum died her children inherited the estate 50:50 but we wanted to help out her brother (our uncle). I think we modified the will as her executors to ensure we were not giving him our money but (for inheritance tax reasons), this is legal but you are of course under absolutely no obligation to do so.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X