• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it the norm to be asked to use own computer for an Inside IR35 contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the norm to be asked to use own computer for an Inside IR35 contract?

Recruitment agency has now specified I need to use my own laptop for work after screening completed and contract signed. This was never stated before or at client interview and having had use of the same client's laptop in a previous contract I assumed that this would be the case again, particularly as the role is Inside IR35.

Unfortunately my laptop is an old one and not the most reliable and although I relayed this by email to the agent they have just bluntly replied that all professional contractors should have use of their own laptop. Having always used clients' laptops in the past, is this the normal? I am concerned about security of, not only my personal information stored on my laptop but also potential virus issues and problems with software/apps. Financial circumstances do not allow for me to spend hundreds of pounds on a new laptop

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Recruitment agency has now specified I need to use my own laptop for work after screening completed and contract signed. This was never stated before or at client interview and having had use of the same client's laptop in a previous contract I assumed that this would be the case again, particularly as the role is Inside IR35.

Unfortunately my laptop is an old one and not the most reliable and although I relayed this by email to the agent they have just bluntly replied that all professional contractors should have use of their own laptop. Having always used clients' laptops in the past, is this the normal? I am concerned about security of, not only my personal information stored on my laptop but also potential virus issues and problems with software/apps. Financial circumstances do not allow for me to spend hundreds of pounds on a new laptop
    Well you could argue that spending a few hundreds to secure a contract worth many thousands is a worthwhile investment...

Equally, you really ought to keep your own kit up to date; as you have just discovered...

But since you will have a steady income for a while, get one on a two-year finance deal. It doesn't have to be whizzy, just with enough grunt and memory to handle your work.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes this is probably the new norm, our company used to issue laptops to contractors but now they're expected to provide their own, and they connect over VDS.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Buy a refurbished one, £2-300 will get you a 2-3 year old standard laptop (desktops are cheaper) the same as most machines in a normal client. ~£500 will get a desktop replacement laptop at 3 years old.

If you can't afford that you aren't cut out to be a contractor.

I always had a decent company laptop when contracting, I have a 4 year old laptop now that runs SQL server and visual studio fine. Most newer laptops are not a massive jump from 3 year old ones.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Buy a refurbished one, £2-300 will get you a 2-3 year old standard laptop (desktops are cheaper) the same as most machines in a normal client. ~£500 will get a desktop replacement laptop at 3 years old.

If you can't afford that you aren't cut out to be a contractor.

I always had a decent company laptop when contracting, I have a 4 year old laptop now that runs SQL server and visual studio fine. Most newer laptops are not a massive jump from 3 year old ones.
          This.

I got a decent refurbished Dell and will probably do so again in a couple of years time.

I find it surprising that a contractor would want to use a client’s laptop unless they had to - mine is better than most and didn’t cost that much.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I guess the OP is more asking the question - if I'm an employee then why am I providing my own tools (paid for from post tax earnings) - which IMO is a reasonable question.

I used my own kit for the couple of inside gigs I did until for one of them I was told I wasn't allowed for security reasons, but I already had reasonably high spec kit.

I guess like enforced furloughs it's one of those crappy things you may have to put up with if you get stuck with an inside gig.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I guess the OP is more asking the question - if I'm an employee then why am I providing my own tools (paid for from post tax earnings) - which IMO is a reasonable question.

I used my own kit for the couple of inside gigs I did until for one of them I was told I wasn't allowed for security reasons, but I already had reasonably high spec kit.

I guess like enforced furloughs it's one of those crappy things you may have to put up with if you get stuck with an inside gig.
              It's annoying because under CEST those sort of things are clear reasons for you being outside.

However on the upside assuming the reason you are inside is because of a corporate policy to minimise risk rather than an actual inside IR35 determination it would make deciding what you do after April 6th 2023 rather easier....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

This.

I got a decent refurbished Dell and will probably do so again in a couple of years time.

I find it surprising that a contractor would want to use a client’s laptop unless they had to - mine is better than most and didn’t cost that much.
                I hate the responsibility of having to lug a work-laptop around.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

This.

To save people hunting Dell Outlet: Refurbished Laptops, Desktops & Workstations | Dell
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You will find a good Microsoft Surface Pro from a reputable vendor for £200-300 on Ebay. 8GB ram and 256GB SSD. Good i5 Processor.
                    I did this and haven't regretted it.
                    I might be doing the same with a Dell XPS 13 shortly.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X